(without having to double-click)
Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
26 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add having a custom button to designate a marker as a VFX shot, perhaps as a radial button like the comment and segmentation buttons. This will help keep track of VFX that can stay internal or go to 3rd party vendors. This can work for other departments as well, such as sound and color.

Being able to select the VFX markers only for easy export of the markers list that can be exported.

Also, bring the functions of the marker menu into the marker panel. The marker panel is extremely barebones and all of the functions when clicking in on a marker should be accessible through the panel.

Auto coloring markers that are specified as a Comment, VFX, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also like to be able to expand the "name" column.... sometimes if you write anything too long, it gets cropped off, and you can't read it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also when you are looking at what markers you have. When you click on one the whole list disappears and then you have to click on your sequence for the list to reappear not useful when you're wanting to flick through items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine just middle clicking the timeslider at a spot and it creating a Marker then already have a mini text field blinking awaiting its name.
But even more importantly being able to Middle click and DRAG creating a marked area and labelling it. This would be SO useful!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest to add ability to draw marker lines through tracks to better see what clips are under that marker and visually understand margins

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And also marker numbering!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread mentions a lot of additional features, but let's not get ahead of ourselves: why not first update the marker panel so that markers function the same way there as they do on the timeline?

Delete Selected Marker is the most glaring omission. i can't right-click and do that from the (non-existent) context menu in the Markers panel, but i can do it by right-clicking the marker in the timeline. Doesn't make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to add functionality would be if hitting "m" to set a marker OPENED the marker box, rather than requiring a double-click. Then it would be easier to change colour, add comments, change the span of the marker etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be very opposed to having the marker dialog open when setting a marker because most of the time I'm using markers to mark beats of music, or places that need work. It's already so easy to just tap the marker shortcut key twice when you need to put a note in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also wouldn't want the marker dialog to come up automatically (double-clicking works ok for this) but the ability to assign a shortcut to particular marker colors would be a big improvement. For example...As someone else said, markers are handy for assigning moments in musical beats but I like to assign different colors for sections of song (red is intro beats, green is verse beats, white are musical breaks, etc). Right now I have to stop playing the song in order to change colors or go back through at the end. It would be great to just hit a key for each as the song plays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can assign a marker color as a shortcut but only on the timeline. We can't place markers on a clip found in a sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it should work if a clip is selected, but it doesn't. I get around placing different colored markers with the shortcuts by loading up the clip into the source monitor, but shouldn't have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should not be too hard for Adobe to have a Preferences setting as to whether setting a marker should open the Markers Panel without having to double click with EXTREME precision on the marker itself. I also use markers as beat signposts and in those cases I wouldn't want the panel to open. But when shotlisting a speech it would be fab to be able to just type in a comment without having to stop/pick up the mouse/line up the cursor/double click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a video about what I think is missing.
https://youtu.be/D3Vx_VbQiO4
Although I forgot to mention that you should be able to delete markers in the panel 😄 Crucial as well.
Let's vote for this thread. We need better markers experience and more possibilities to work with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the worst panel in Pr...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bump two of the best wanted functionality from Piotr's video:
- The ability to view Clip- and Sequence markers at the same time. Crucial.
- Export marker stills and comments in a excel format (as in Kyno). Makes logging a breeze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Tim! We should also be able to search for and edit by the results of a marker search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if they also merged in some sub-clip creation functionality? What if that was a "type" of marker in the dialog box? sub-clip in and out points? The marker features do need to be updated. Love that this is being put forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree on so many of these suggestions:

-easier marker deletion
-the ability to name and color a marker without needing to click 5 times (currently I hit "m," then I need to double-click the marker, then type the name, then click and drag the "duration" to make the marker duration editable outside of the marker dialog, then hit ok, then click and drag the end point of the marker on the timeline to the appropriate distance. This is absurd.
-the marker panel is ridiculously un-intuitive and requires many clicks to use. When clicking on an existing sequence marker in the markers panel, rather than allowing me to directly edit aspects of that existing marker, instead the panel goes blank! What?! Again, insane and maddening. The only way i have found to prevent this is to click and drag on an existing marker's in or out point in the markers panel AND THEN I am able to click on the description or title of the marker. How does that make any sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Play-Pause, J-K-L on the Function-Keys, while typing text in the marker panel. That would be really important, while transcribing and commenting
2. Possibillity to change Font-Size in marker-panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes please, enhance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also would like to have my Marker selections (in , out) with an option for automate to sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also love to see the Markers Panel improved. One of the things I'd love to add to the suggestions:

- Make all markers in the currently open sequence visible even if I have a specific clip selected. I really don't get why it always switches between no markers displayed.

I get that this may be how some people like to use it. But I'd love to see a setting to choose to always display all markers in the open sequence, with the option to include/exclude clip markers as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please take note, because here how creating & searching for markers should work....

1. I mark up a bunch of media and sequences.

2. I use the FIND command, then select MARKERS as a category and then type in the text I'm looking for like "hospital" or "b-roll" or "amazing".

3. Markers containing that text pop up in a find bin.

4. When I double click one of those markers in the find bin, the clip or sequence is opened up and the playhead is smack dab on the marker. Everyone's happy.

Please make this work. It's such a simple and obvious workflow--Avid's had it down for years. You guys are innovative enough, let's do this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One small recommendation: pls have a look at how the markers work in Avid Mc. This was developed by users. And it works, is efficient and fun to use. With the Adobe markers the fun part is left out and I hate to use them. They are simply clumsy. If you need scripts to make them work, something is wrong.
rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.>Be content with what you have;
rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate