• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get rid of the AWFUL new interface that came with the recent update... [Import]

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The interface completely changed when importing, and my team HATES it and we cannot find out how to change it back. Please change it back or allow us to opt out of using it. It's unsightly and frankly looks unprofessional. Maybe that was the motivation, but as professionals, we hate it.

Mod note: Edited for content to address UI issues for Import Mode. Export Mode UI commentary should be posted in this thread, not here.

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
Hi John, you can also skip it by going directly to the "Edit" Tab - that allows you to import using the media browser as it used to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Hi all, 

I am marking this idea as declined. There are a couple of reasons for this:
1. This thread is now old and was started when there were bugs in the Import interface that have now been fixed. 

2. The original request was to get rid of the new Import experience - the general UI - which we are not planning on doing. 

3. The thread has multiple ideas in it related to different parts of the Import UI, and is no longer specific enough for us to act on. 

What I would encourage people to do it p

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
75 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... I haven't been using Premiere in a few months and now I come back to this way of creating a project which is ABSOLUTELY terrible. I'm of a mind to uninstall the app... what have you done to what was an quick and effective way to open a file. Not only is it now completely unintuitive, but it slows my computer massively...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent 40 minutes trying to create a project and add select one file to start the project. I'm also spending time writing this comment, hopefully, it is useful.

My old workflow: I used to create an empty project and drag and drop resources.

New workflow painpoints:
1. I can't paste my project folder but has to go through the "Choose folder" option and locate my folder step by step. A bit cumbersome to force me to use your folder selection. Make the dropdown editable please.

2. I have to select at least 1 resource to be able to create the project (don;t do that please!). I now need to dig into folders, folder by folder wait at every step for the display of thumbnails, when navigating folders it is likely that all resources will become selected and it is impossible to bulk unselect, the grid view and all thumbnails become very slow, the UI is not responsive. I selected 999+ files by mistake (I don't know how). I switched to the list view but it is not faster and not bulk unselect either. Where is the bulk-unselect option?

I spent a huge amount of time (it was a 15-second step before) and I failed: the start button wasn't even enabled. I canceled the creation since the UI was frozen.

My workaround is to not browse and add a random clip, create the project and then delete the random clip.

Forcing users to find a workaround to a new design is probably not the desired outcome your UX team was expecting.

Please leave the create button enabled no matter what (don't copy Rush please)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heres is some useful feedback.

Make workflows faster. Make rendering and useability faster. simple. UI should be last ion the list. And ui should change incrementally - not drastically - UNLESS - its really solving a problem. And consult your paying customers - people who actually use this software on a daily basis.

I think this, along with final cuts insanely fast speed, will be the migration BACK to final cut.

I migrated to a pc for gpu rendering for CGI. But adobe doesnt work well on pc at all. So Im actually having to buy a mac studio for adobe. But that means I can use final cut? mmmmmm I see a mass migration happening. It happended in reverse once - I was there - we all went from Final Cut to premier - the glory days. Adobe worked. We were all supporters.

Do a consensus of your customers now? You'll soon see - we are about to jump ship.

Final cut is a one off payment. Adobe has so far cost me 10's of thousands. its a no brainer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am teaching Premiere to students and I feel embarrasing teaching the software, doesnt look proffesional at all, because not intuitive is an absolutelly incomprehensible interface

Mod note: Edited for content. Please do not use profanity. We have minors reading here. Kindly abide by Adobe Community Guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!!!! Adobe are making all there software harder to work with. Why this strategy?? In Photoshop before to save you ad two options save and save as, now you have maaany option to do the same, export, export for screen, save as, save, and every way have their own extension. But why adobe? do you want to sell courses or do you want to sink?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to add my voice to those that hate this new interface. It's just terrible, not just from the perspective of all of us who are used to a certain dialogue and are forced to adjust.

Why, when I ask the program to create a new project, am I faced with an interface dominated by importing media? Why don't I have convenient access to important project settings, like scratch disks and capture settings?

If it's not intuitive and clear how to accomplish a most basic and common goal, it's a fundamental failure of design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This and the Export UI. Atrocious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not gonna take too much of your time, I really dislike the new Premiere export workflow. To me it's extremely clunky, takes far more clicks than it used to, and overall just is a speed bump to my process that didn't exist before.

Obviously just going back is probably not going to happen for a plethora of reasons and new users may prefer the new menu. However, for legacy users who have been using the program for a decade plus, why not have some kind of option to keep using the old process? It would solve any immediate issues that the new export page has as you could default back to the old window at any time. And old crabby users like me would be happy since we don't have to change our workflow at all.

Just a thought!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, this is straight up awful. This is stealing time from everyone, making it more complicated than it needs to be. I just want to select a folder and start the project, then I'll adjust as required moving along from there.

Workaround: I always have "template projects" that I start from instead, to bypass this PROBLEM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The designers of the latest version of Premiere Pro UI don't seem to understand how professional editors work. Fix things that don't work, not things that work! I have used PP for decades and have had enough of paying for subscriptions, testing the patience of pros worldwide.

Mod note: Edited for content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe seems to have an interesting policy regarding comments. If you express criticism or show that you're upset, they disregard your comment as being hateful and unproductive. If you don't show criticism and don't show that you're upset, they conclude that whatever you're commenting about must not be that big of a deal. It's the perfect way to completely ignore your customers, while pretending to be responsive and transparent.

Mod note: Kindly abide by Adobe Community Guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope my voice can add up so that Adobe listens. The new import and export interface is awful. It requires more clicks, it's cumbersome, illogical and unprofessional. I promise it's not just me not being accustomed to the new environemnt. It makes the workflow so much more complicated. I want to get the old simple way to import and export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems with the new interface.

1. It's an import interface - but I don't want to import first. I'll create bins to put my footage in, organized instead of loading it all in into a big messy pile. You know, like Interviews, B-roll, Graphics, Music, etc. 

2. Why is "Sample Media" the default folder? I'll never want to use that.... (I don't remember shooting that....)

3. I'd rather use my OS browser which works as I want it to. And in Premiere's browser, eventually, you end up in the OS browser, sort of, so it's a browser inside of a browser.

4. Just seeing the place to name the project is hard because of all the clutter, which is pretty much everything else.

5. The Import & Export pages cover up the rest of the interface, what I want to see. Instead of a dialog I can move and look underneath, it hides everything else.

6. The sidebar takes a lot of space for something not useful. All the OS folders (Local - Home, Desktop, Documents, etc., & Devices, & Network, & even Favorites) have no use since everything I pull is coming from my RAID.

7. It's also confusing to have the Import tab be the place create a project, which isn't, you know, importing. Which maybe is the whole problem after all, as they seem to be conflated in this interface.

Well, that's a start.

Thanks for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am trying to navigate through a folder structure on an external hard drive, it is excruciatingly slow and unresponsive. The same operation in Finder on my Mac takes seconds. Your GUI takes minutes. Also every time I eventually get to see the contents of a folder, every item is selected and I have to deselect them multiple times to get to a point where I can select the items I want. Because the GUI seems to select every file on a drive by default, it is quite easy to end up unintentionally importing the entire drive and having to cancel multiple times to stop this process. My suggestion as an alternative to removing this feature, and with the greatest of respect, is to fix it, as it is obviously broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, it's totally understandable that most users are frustrated by the change to that Import/Edit/Export  tab or page or whatever it is. It was sure puzzling to me at first! 

But to maybe give some help to you as-is, are you talking about importing into your project via the "new" New Project/Import page? 

The only people that should probably be using that, are those who will want a "flat file" type small-ish project, like for TV Newsrooms & corporation socials/explainers work. And other users, who don't need organized bin structures.

If you have full sized complex projects and need to use bins to organize, you probably shouldn't use the new New Project/Import page for importing assets.

Simply type a Name, set a Location, click to Create the project, and then import from the Project panel or MediaBrowser panel as before.

Again, this new "page" thing is clearly confusing (wonderful phrase that ... huh ... ), and totally opaque to so many users. Unfortunately so in my personal opinion ... but ah well.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, what I find super odd is that you essentially have a browser that takes up the full screen, from which you can pick the files to import. But then if you want to do exactly as you have described and just go straight to creating a project, you must click a dropdown and then select "Choose Location..." which then opens up the system finder (which I am guessing is what most people want in the first place.) Without getting overly technical as to why, this just seems like bad design- still I will do my best to describe why:

It's immediately confusing that the otherwise unnamed Adobe File Browser can only be used for import. The bottom button which says "Create" only makes that even more confusing. The "Create New Sequence" tools would be a useful "Advanced Import" function to be sure, but until you actually use it really you aren't "creating" anything other than a new project, and yet the project will remain untitled until you name it and choose it's directory.

It's not that it isn't useful, it's just not User-Friendly. 

It's pretty standard for me and I think a lot of people that they would like to first set their project location prior to importing their footage, but the visual language of this Import screen directly implies the opposite. If for no other reason than that, it is begging for a redesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on ditching this stupid browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thing is clearly designed to try to make it easier to use your cloud service which no one wants.  Why don't you focus on making your products better instead of on ways to make us pay for things we do not need.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We hate ity too! What on earth were they thinking? We can't export pages as a cluster now. It's awful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree.  the new look is TERRIBLE!  Still trying to revert back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Agree. Unfortuanately the same experience with Camera Raw interface. 10 years of muscle memory with the oldshool elite layout & processing images very fast... Then the new UI switched to a large clunky workse that takes up most the moniter space... Unfortantely things will slowly change... Upgrades unfortuanltey nessesary for new features / cameras in my instance in Camera Raw. Same for Reader. There whre so mnay isuses before the Acrobat update that had the program crash & freee & glitch out.. These seem to be gone at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need for a detailed explanation, the new interphase SUCKS, pure and simple! We all liked it the way it was which was user friendls and simple to navigate. Simply return it to what it was before, or give us the option to not use this new sh!t interphase. It is costing us money and time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that is the suggestion. Do you care about your customers or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As another user reading your posts, this is such a long thread I can't tell what ... or who  ... you are replying to. Sadly.

For best effect, it is good to include some level of specifics.

And given there are many reasons to be unhappy with some of the changes, that's useful to see which bug you the most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all, 

I am marking this idea as declined. There are a couple of reasons for this:
1. This thread is now old and was started when there were bugs in the Import interface that have now been fixed. 

2. The original request was to get rid of the new Import experience - the general UI - which we are not planning on doing. 

3. The thread has multiple ideas in it related to different parts of the Import UI, and is no longer specific enough for us to act on. 

What I would encourage people to do it post specific ideas about the new (or now not so new!) Import experience. What is helpful to know is what you'd like to see changed and why it is important to you. 

Thanks,

Fergus

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate