• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Give momentary keypress functionality to hand and zoom tools

Participant ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold H to momentarily activate the Hand tool, move the timeline around, let go of H to return to the previous tool.

Same action for the Zoom tool.

At the present time, you have to reselect the tool when you're done moving around.

HUGE advantage for those of us who use Wacmon tablets and don't have a scroll wheel, as there is no other way to easily move in the timeline. The only way to achieve it with my Wacom, is to hold my top button and scroll the pen up & down - left & right doesn't function in Premiere. And it only registers for the portion of the screen that the timeline window takes up.

Also the same way it functions in Photoshop, it's a very natural way to interface with the application.
Idea No status
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would prefer holding the space bar to temporary change the cursor into the hand tool so it works the same way across all Adobe applications (Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects already do this). Timelines are too large not to have this function and Windows is terrible for horizontal or diagonal scrolling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An interesting predicament. Your solution would work, IF Adobe ever implements it. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
So I wrote an AHK script that will give you, as a Wacom user, some decent scroll wheel functionality.
https://github.com/TaranVH/2nd-keyboard/blob/master/Taran's%20Premiere%20Mods/F12_F11_scroller.ahk

Then I thought, maybe he doesn't know how to use AHK.
So I made a little video just to show you! (And others)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHbG8HYRwcI

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally Wacom's Pan/Scroll functionality could be mapped to the timeline the same way a Macbook's track pad is, which does allow you to scroll horizontally and vertically simultaneously with two fingers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Cinema 4D, holding down a key to temporarily activate another tool & revert back to the first tool upon release is called Sticky Keys. I'd love sticky keys throughout Premiere.

Whichever way its implemented, please make the hand and zoom tools work in bins as well! As a wacom user, it's a workflow downer to have to grab scrollbars in bins when in my timeline in can switch to the hand tool and quickly & easily drag from anywhere in the window. The bins should be just as easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey are you on windows or mac? When I was working on a mac and on a wacom the thing that single-handedly changed my experience was a program called SmartScroll. It gives you the ability to have drag and flick scrolling WITH INERTIA. Basically iphone scrolling but with a mouse. So I assigned one of my wacom buttons to middle-click and then middle-click to the drag and flick trigger within SmartScroll. BOOM your wacom pen is suddenly an iphone scrolly scroll in every application and it's hands down the thing I miss most about windows. Than and better touch tool. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still hoping this will happen one day... as well as doing something with the middle mouse button....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, yes. This. It just occurred to me today that navigating the timeline is the most frustrating things getting in the way of what I want to do. I thought by getting a giant monitor to give it a ton of window space, that I would magically not need to zoom and pan and scroll around the timeline as much, but dang was I wrong...

I noticed that I always had this weird habit of holding the spacebar down when trying to adjust things in the timeline and therefor end up popping all over the place, and I had this epiphany that I keep doing that simply because I'm used to being able to smoothly navigate photoshop that way!

I wish I had the ability to just hold Z + m1 and just drag left and right to zoom back and forth, and hold space bar to swipe the canvas. That's what's missing from my timeline experience. How can I get that sort of experience?

I was thinking maybe like a ball mouse for my keyboard hand would be a potential solution, but how do we bring that sort of navigation to the average user?

I feel like it's a big missed opportunity efficiency wise, so that I can stay focused on the edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! 100%!

By the way, in Pr 15.1 (beta) the hand tool can now be temporarily invoked by click-holding a mouse's scroll wheel!!!! BUT... ONLY in the new Text window for creating captions. Huh??? Why Adobe, why?! AE has had this basic functionality for ages, so it's high time Pr gets this basic functionality as well, in every area of the program that makes sense rather than just in the new Text window!

Make sure you check out my FR for this and vote here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/42781670-give-the-mouse-scr...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we just get this sorted already? And while you're at it, make zoom and pan work in every window (source, effects controls, media bin etc etc) - it just speeds everything up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Momentary hand tool that returned to the previous tool after release of H would save me a lot of keypresses. Or using hold space to scroll the timeline (as per After Effects).

Being able to map Middle Mouse to hand tool in the timeline would work as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate