• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LUT Organization

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be awesome to have a better structure for LUTs. I wish it were more organized with the option of having folders. Lightroom has something similar to where you can have folders holding presets, but when I want to use a LUT in Premiere Pro, I have to pick through the long list I have aquired, or go through the browse option and go through those folders one by one. I would like to have that organization that I use in Finder (osx) within Lumetri. I've loved some of the additions to cc2019 and think this could be a nice feature as well.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Color

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
19 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree! We are looking to modernize our LUT workflow. Others, please post your LUT workflow ideas - we are listening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with this or at the very least, the ability to add keyword tags to custom luts, then offer a way to filter the dropdown menu with that tag.

For example, if I had a few utility luts.. I could select utility and it shows.. or Teal/Orange and show all those luts.

Just some way to organize this. It looks like this hasn't been touched in a while and the last word from Adobe was November 15, 2018...

So how about it?! Can we finally get some traction on this?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I came back to some older projects, I noticed that the LUTs in my adjustment layer were wrong.
It seems that Premiere saves the info of the selected LUT via its position in the drop-down list, rather than the specific LUT itself. But then when you (or the updates) bring more LUTs into the Lumetri 'Creative' list, the previous selection gets pushed out of place and replaced with another. IE; what was 10th down the list could now be 14th, and the new 10th is ugly.

The evidence of this is that when I had *browsed* my folders for a LUT, it is not affected by the described changes to the internal list.

I don't currently share projects with other Premiere users (my subcontractors are all using Final Cut), but if I were to team up with another Premiere user, our projects aren't going to match when we share if we don't have the same LUT list. This is a very unprofessional flaw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That happens because you are adding LUTs in the Premiere Pro program files ... which users are told not to do ... and yes, this is both expected behavior for LUTs in those folders, and is also covered in their documentation. Not that most users read it, of course.

Look up LUT use in the Premiere Pro help files. There are two locations each on Mac and PCs, for users to park their LUTs such that they are scanned and added to the approrpriate LUT list within the app on launch.

I prefer (PC) the Program Files/Adobe/Common/LUTs location, with subfolders for Technical (Basic tab), Creative (Creative tab) and Input (color management).

There's another location in Users folder setup that you can use. I'd provide their chart, but I'm on my tablet at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, so if I copy my favourites to "Program Files/Adobe/Common/LUTs", will they appear in the drop-down selection?
If so, how do I reset my Creative list to the default first (without reinstalling from scratch)?
I can't remember how I added my LUTs the first time round, I just followed instructions I found online and have a terrible memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within Program files/Adobe/Common/LUTs, make subfolders for Technical, which will be scanned for the Basic tab, and Creative, which will be scanned for the Creative tab.

On launch, Premiere scans those folders as it does for presets and such. LUTs will then appear on the dropdown lists in those Lumetri tabs.

And yes, move the LUTs out of the Premiere folder. It may take a bit to get this straightened out, admittedly. But will be better going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep thinking this is the correct folder for user luts. But they both work. I just don't like putting things in 'Program Files', plus my user defined mogrts are stored here and Essential Sounds, media cache, etc...

%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs

You can paste that line above into File Explorer.

Kevin documents it here for both:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-premiere-pro-lumetri-color-custom-lut-di...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll give this a go soon. I've been cooking & eating, then renaming the clips in my current project with their chosen LUT in the clip name for reference in case I lose them in the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay... this is my Premiere/Lumetri/LUTS folder. Can you give me a hand and compare it to yours, tell me which are the 'native' ones which I should leave there, I'll shift all the rest.Premiere-LUTS.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recognised a couple of imported LUT folders, moved them to Common/Creative, but now when I hover the mouse over the drop-list and use the wheel to scroll, it opens a browse window instead of scrolling through the colour schemes! That is a massive put-off.

Also, the LUT drop-down is listing the same LUT up to 4 times, when there is only 1 .cube file of that name in the Common folder. I am lost!Premiere-LUTS2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use subfolders within the Technical and Creative folders, sadly. We've been asking for some time, but so far, subfolders of LUTs don't work properly.

And there's a limit of a bit over 100 LUTs in a folder that it will recognize.

Plus, it shows them in computer alphanumeric sorting order in the drop-down lists. Andcif you add a number prefix to organize and sort as I do, you have to remember that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the default Premiere Pro Luts folder, there are only 3 subfolders and 152 files:

MyerPj_0-1696215133935.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually you can figure out by the dates, which have been added, etc... Here's a list...

Zip/CSV of the default Lut files, Open with Excel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your file/folder structure; when you hover the mouse over the drop list and roll the scroll wheel, does it change instantly from one LUT to the next, or open a browse window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my computers ... both the previous 'main' desktop which is still the backup main, and my current main rig, and my laptop ... when I click either Basic or Creative dropdowns, my LUTs are there sorted in with the program ones. I scroll the same as always.

My LUTs are in the Program Files/Adobe/Common/LUTs folder tree. Note, this is NOT the folder tree for any application, it's a Common folder that Adobe uses for much cross-app stuff. And users are specifically suggested to use this spot as one of two user LUT locations.

The other, which many prefer, is in the Users folder tree. I've tested that, and it works exactly the same. My LUTs appeared in the dropdown list, sorted by name.

As they still haven't given us a subfolder ability to sort out LUTs, I give them a prefix number. That way all mine come first, and they are grouped how I want them to be grouped.

As in: (the names are just popping something cool sounding off the top of my head)

010 Blue Fire

011 Green Fire

020 Red Blaze

110 Shadows Up

111 Shadows Down

120 Mids Up

rinse & repeat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW: Here's a really cool program for renaming files. You can put a sequential number in the filename anywhere, (in front, middle, end, etc). Plus for media files it will even use ExifTool and you can rename on meta data. It's good for many bulk renaming, etc...

https://www.advancedrenamer.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried copying LUTs into Program Files/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Creative and
C:/Users/Del_7Pro/AppData/Roaming/Common/LUTs/Creative
But with both placements, when I try to scroll through the Lumetri Creative list, passing those LUTs opens up a browser rather than hop to the next in the list.
I give up, just going to settle for doing it 'the wrong way' and label the clips or adjustment layers with the LUT title in the rename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's just weird ... sorry, but I can't replicate that on either of my computers.

On my laptop, I just created a couple new LUTs, one put in Technical for Basic tab, the other in Creative, named so they'd be well down each list.

Accessed as per expectation ... they showed in the list, were applied on selecting, and I could drop the list down, pick another either built-in or one of my other LUTs. So I'm wondering what's gone bizarre on your system. I dunno, maybe trying the ol' Trash Preferences, that oft fixes weird stuff in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate