• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nearest neighbor scaling (sampling) - simple and vital

Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects allows you to use Bicubic, bilinear, and nearest neighbor ("draft") for scaling. (Also known as "sampling" or "interpolation.")

Premiere should absolutely have the option for the Motion effect to use Nearest Neighbor. (It would still be bicubic by default, as it is now.)

This is very important for sprite art, screenshots, screen recordings, etc.

Here is a forum thread on the issue from 2012, where most people unfortunately don't even understand what the problem is:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1061901

NOTE: The TRANSFORM effect currently has the option for bilinear and bicubic. It would be good to add nearest neighbor here, but that should not be the ONLY place where it is available. The Transform effect still has severe issues with buggyness, instability, and choppy movement. Again, it is important that the MOTION effect has the option for Nearest Neighbor.
Idea Under review
TOPICS
Effects

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
Currently, Premiere uses the Lanczos method for intrinsic scale and rotation. Lanczos is an exceptionally high-quality interpolation method which generally yields better results than bicubic, bilinear or nearest neighbor. From reading the forum post, it seems that up-scaling is the real issue here. I suggest looking at the Detail-Preserving Upscale effect in After Effects. It does a really good job and gives you some parameters to tweak to fit your specific content.

Votes

Translate

Translate
65 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seen videos on this issue and didn't realise the difference between different scaling techniques. Having an option for nearest neighbour readily available would be handy when editing for youtube and other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

add this already

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Detail Preserving Upscale and High-quality interpolation are useless when you're trying to retain the exact same image and just make it appear larger. Particularly for the sprite art I work with which originally is at maybe 16x16 or 32x32 pixels, upscaling with anything except nearest neighbour causes issues with blurriness and warping on the edges. And as far as I can see, there's no reason not to add more scaling options. It shouldn't exactly be hard, having at least a few scaling options is standard in image editing software, and should be for video editing software too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A complete vidéo on the topic : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKV1JFE0_Nk

At that point someone should just make a plugin (:

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Game trailer editor here! I work on pixel game trailers all the time where a bit of nearest neighbor on motion-scaled shots would save me hours of my life! Please add this to the next version of Premiere, Adobe. Pretty please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a game trailer editor, I work with pixel art and this nearest-neighbor scaling would ease and speed up work a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another game trailer editor here! Working on games with pixel art means frequently having to go back and forth between After Effects and Premiere; it can be laborious and troublesome especially when things don't link up well.

An option for nearest neighbor scaling in Premiere would be a game changer and make things so much easier for myself, my game trailer making colleagues and the tons of people out there making videos for their pixel art games!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because this thread on the issue is seeing some attention lately, I want to toss my hat in the ring yet again. I'm working a lot with retro footage in my content production and had to resort to up-scaling with VirtualDub because of the lack of a nearest neighbor option in Premiere.

@Francis Crossman: I'm sure this had been pointed out elsewhere but it seems that you don't understnd the problem we're having: It's not about (detail-enhnacing) upscaling, it's about doubling the pixels that are in the footage explicitly *without* interpolation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another game trailer editor here! Currently I have to scale in Premiere to the size I want then dynamically link the footage to AE to take advantage of NN for pixel art footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here to comment yet again that this is a very much needed feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

plz im trying to scale up pixels and they look like yak i know your thing is hIqUaLiTy but clearly there is a need for NN at least

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone ! Please contact us on our website and tell us how you would like to use this feature in Premiere Pro ! https://www.autokroma.com/contact

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please add nearest neighbour scaling to premiere pro, i really need to upscale my pixel arts properly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a new solution for nearest neighbors (pixel art) upscaling in Premiere Pro ! Please test our FREE filter called Autokroma Vizual PixelPerfect, download and install from here https://www.autokroma.com/Vizual

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just throwing my hat in the ring for this. We absolutely need a dropdown within the Scale parameters of a clip. It must include Nearest Neighbor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of this feature ensures I'll be cancelling my creative cloud subscription once I'm finished college. Nearest neighbor scaling is 100% REQUIRED for interpolating pixel-art. No other form of interpolation is a viable substitute, Lanczos included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a plugin for nearest neighbor interpolation. One free one for example is 'Pixel Perfect Upscale' by Vizual: https://www.autokroma.com/blog/Vizual-PixelPerfect-Upscale-Pixel-Art-Nearest-Neighbors-Premiere-Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although Nearest Neighbor is in After Effects, it's a lot of work to open it up every single time I want to upscale a screen capture. If you add this feature to Premiere everyone's life would be much easier. And Adobe Dynamic Link is way too slow to be a GOOD solution here, but for now - it's the only solution I know about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three years and still nothing. Adobe are absolutely useless. If I had the time to learn another NLE I would because your broken software and nonexistent support are a joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Francis, Can you explain how Lanczo interpolation actually works and what it does to the nearest pixels. NN, Bilinear and Bicubic seem to all have a clear definition as to what it does and how it works. can you provide that here? I need to be able to explain the interpolation process to others. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KEn : Lanczos interpolation is more advanced than Bicubic interpolation, but that's not what you're looking for here. Vizual PixelPerfect is our FREE plugin to do just what you want https://www.autokroma.com/blog/Vizual-PixelPerfect-Upscale-Pixel-Art-Nearest-Neighbors-Premiere-Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, Premiere uses the Lanczos method for intrinsic scale and rotation. Lanczos is an exceptionally high-quality interpolation method which generally yields better results than bicubic, bilinear or nearest neighbor. From reading the forum post, it seems that up-scaling is the real issue here. I suggest looking at the Detail-Preserving Upscale effect in After Effects. It does a really good job and gives you some parameters to tweak to fit your specific content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Detail-Preserving Upscaling often produces worse results on the images at the resolutions we're dealing with, I keep seeing Adobe reps recommend that, but it's clear they haven't used it on pixel art. What we want is an untainted nearest-neighbor/point sample option, not a "smart" feature that mangles the low res art we're dealing with. The only real option is using a draft comp from AE, and it's absurd that as users we have to tolerate missing a basic feature like point sampling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's defeating how little Adobe cares nor seems to even try to understand the problem. Programmatically, it's the easiest scaling algorithm there is. My hunch is that they don't want to put it in because someone who doesn't know what it is might complain online that "Premiere makes my video look ugly" when using Nearest Neighbor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't even bothered to try and understand the issue, have you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate