• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relative Export Paths PLEASE!

Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that Pr always defaults to the last export location, regardless of which project is exported from, is completely illogical. Why would a user ever want to export Project B's sequence into the last used export folder if that folder belongs to Project A, for example? (see illustration 1)

There are already about a half dozen FRs that ask for this to be fixed, however since they only offer half baked solutions, I'm posting a new FR, offering a full fledged solution.

The solution is simple:
Provide a new 'Export' tab in the Preferences window that allows users to define the default location they want all of their projects to export to (both from Export Settings and Quick Export). (see illustration 2)

A 'Relative path' checkbox would allow users to make the export path relative to each project. In the illustration's example, the location is set to .\Exports. This means exports from Project A will automatically appear inside a folder named 'Exports' next to project 'Project A.prproj', and exports from Project B will appear in Project B's 'Export' folder, and so forth. If an export folder doesn't exist, Pr would automatically create it upon export.

Should a user wish to automatically export to the same location regardless of which project is exported from, setting this up would be as easy as browsing to one's preferred export location (for example, a "Pr Exports" folder on the Desktop), and unchecking 'Relative path'.

Note that these options would only set each project's DEFAULT export location. If a user chooses to export to a different location from a certain project, then that (and only that) project's default export location would be automatically set to this new location.

Example:
Project A: User exports to Desktop = New default export location for Project A set to Desktop

Project B: Default export location continues to be 'Export' folder (next to Project B.prproj)

This workflow would address the needs of all editors: those who want exports saved in locations relative to each individual project, as well as those who want exports from all projects to appear in the same place!

The current exporting behavior makes zero sense and is incredibly frustrating, especially for editors who work on more than one project at a time. Please fix this already! Thank you!
Idea No status
TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
28 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell you how many times I've exported to the wrong folder, then had to go hunting through my projects folders to find the right one. It's incredibly frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't begin to estimate how many work hours per year I waste tracking down files I accidentally exported to the wrong folder. I don't understand how After Effects can have this feature (at least when exporting using Media Encoder) but Premiere does not. I work on hundreds of projects per year, and at least having the OPTION of saving exports adjacent to your project folder would be a drastic QOL improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
i need this its such a pain!! just export to current project location in a subfolder or whatever. this needs to be a thing/

Votes

Translate

Translate