• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relative Export Paths PLEASE!

Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that Pr always defaults to the last export location, regardless of which project is exported from, is completely illogical. Why would a user ever want to export Project B's sequence into the last used export folder if that folder belongs to Project A, for example? (see illustration 1)

There are already about a half dozen FRs that ask for this to be fixed, however since they only offer half baked solutions, I'm posting a new FR, offering a full fledged solution.

The solution is simple:
Provide a new 'Export' tab in the Preferences window that allows users to define the default location they want all of their projects to export to (both from Export Settings and Quick Export). (see illustration 2)

A 'Relative path' checkbox would allow users to make the export path relative to each project. In the illustration's example, the location is set to .\Exports. This means exports from Project A will automatically appear inside a folder named 'Exports' next to project 'Project A.prproj', and exports from Project B will appear in Project B's 'Export' folder, and so forth. If an export folder doesn't exist, Pr would automatically create it upon export.

Should a user wish to automatically export to the same location regardless of which project is exported from, setting this up would be as easy as browsing to one's preferred export location (for example, a "Pr Exports" folder on the Desktop), and unchecking 'Relative path'.

Note that these options would only set each project's DEFAULT export location. If a user chooses to export to a different location from a certain project, then that (and only that) project's default export location would be automatically set to this new location.

Example:
Project A: User exports to Desktop = New default export location for Project A set to Desktop

Project B: Default export location continues to be 'Export' folder (next to Project B.prproj)

This workflow would address the needs of all editors: those who want exports saved in locations relative to each individual project, as well as those who want exports from all projects to appear in the same place!

The current exporting behavior makes zero sense and is incredibly frustrating, especially for editors who work on more than one project at a time. Please fix this already! Thank you!
Idea No status
TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
28 Comments
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like this ! Very good idea. I am thinking of adding this for AfterCodecs in the future

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Antoine! I do Beta testing for software and plug-ins. Are you a plug-in developer? If so, I'd be happy to help you beta test any plug-ins you develop that help Pr users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes ! https://www.autokroma.com/

I am already following you on your awesome Premiere Pro facebook group 🙂

For sure I will contact you when I get an interesting feature to test !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like different relative paths for different presets... eg 'Vieeing H264' goes to one folder 'video mixdown DNx HQ' to another, 'split track DNx HQ' to a third etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good job on this. I get incredibly sweaty just looking at your relative vs. global mock-up. It's so illogical it should't have made it past the drawing board.

Hoping this get's prioritized!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For AfterCodecs https://www.autokroma.com/AfterCodecs

what I could potentially do is have a way to change the output dynamically in the filename with variables for example {{project}} would be the path of the .prproj then if I detect then I don't use the folder where Premiere Pro wants to render. We could have more macros like {{..}} would go one folder up etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor, I think what you're asking for perhaps falls outside the realm of what we can reasonably expect from Adobe since it would introduce complexity unneeded by most users.

Do you know about the plug-in Excalibur? It has export options that might suit your needs. It can't export a range based on the Work Area bar for now, but it can use in/out points to determine this range. You could simply create a preset for each export type you need, each with its own export location, custom file name format, and/or keyboard shortcut!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Pierre for consolidating all of these into a single cohesive thread. For the love of all that's good and pure, I really hope they finally fix this already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or a much simpler solution: If the last used path of any path-picker was within the project directory, remember it as relative. And a checkbox in the settings to disable relative paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE PLEASE DO THIS!!!! -

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a DAILY issue for me over years!!! As I start a new project most days....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yess please !!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can't wait for it anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!!!!

Even though this should have been programed into Pr years ago, there IS a solution, it's available NOW and it's FREE!

It's called Compass.

You can get this super simple and easy to use plugin here (Mac and PC)
https://knightsoftheeditingtable.com/compass

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So much waste of time on this! Need this update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just remember the path of the last exportation of each project and same thing for file importation could save a lot of time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree on that - pain in the A**. Even a simple generall setting to choose wheter export path should be recent folder/location or projects folder / location would be better than what we have now.

This should be implemented for ALL Adobe CS apps like PS, AI, ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

If you do this, please make it a preference the user can set. I prefer my exports to always go to the same output folder -- so the way it works now is perfect for me. Please don't take away the current functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the COMPASS extension. Simple and free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pro IO has been doing this for years FYI: https://aescripts.com/pro-io/

(shameless plug)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE! I keep finding exports in a folder under other (past) projects, which is highly annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to have a "relative path" checkbox because, at least in windows, the user can specify either absolution path (e.g. E:\video\projectA) or specify a relative path (e.g. .\export)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, there should be a pref to use the location of the project file as the relative starting point for all import/export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great presentation of the problem, like the solution. We often think about grand improvements, but I'd like a version to come out whose only feature is "It has 378 less clicks than before". This feature suggestion is exactly this. And I love it.

Right now, there's a plug in call Compass that does this, kinda. It's better than what this is right now. https://knightsoftheeditingtable.com/compass

Thanks to this person to set this up so nice for Premiere. Great stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lmao I just love that they totally rebuilt the export module in whatever recent release that was and did not address this at all. What a mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate