• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restore MKV Format Support

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing MKV Format support has a negative impact on the workflow of people that work with broadcasting software like OBS. Restore MKV support. Having native support for MKVs, even if they don't edit well without generating proxies, saves me a ton of time that I'd otherwise have to spend remuxing/transcoding files.
Idea Started
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
Hi all,

MKV support is actively being worked on. I don't have a release date to share currently but when that changes, I will update this message.

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 282 Replies 282
282 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not like this is the first time people have asked for this to be back and it was dropped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A standard format for anyone recording and using OBS Studio - can't believe you can't import it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it's being worked on now but just adding another comment and vote to get this done. Nothing more annoying than being able to open a file in VLC but not in professional editing software that costs this much.

Reading the backstory of how the feature used to be there and then was removed makes it doubly infuriating. I remember using it before and it not being a problem, try again today and all of a sudden it's an issue. And given that it's the second most upvoted thing here, a lot of people seem to agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost 6 months later and still nothing... as if adding again the removed MKV support was something incredibly hard and complicated. (-‸ლ)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Free open source programs support MKV and every other codec Adobe doesn't support. This is pure proof that there isn't any technical limitation with the program and is just adobe being pure greedy. I really would like MKV support back because recording in .MP4 is very bad and most of the time has horrible consequences. MP4 wasn't made for recording, just playing back a.k.a. encoding. Until something happens, I will be quiting adobe products for the time being. I have been using a free open source editor called Shotcut and is basically adobe premiere but you don't have to worry about what formats it supports for importing because it pretty much supports them all. I hate when companies choose greed over customer service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nearing the end of October 2022 now. Is this still in process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recorded 5 hours worth of video with OBS Studio for a timelapse. The video that they output can be read by everything except After Effect. Actually I'm pretty sure they're using a standard codec with nothing fancy. I am currently waiting for handbrake to finish converting it so I can finally edit it. Time remaining for the conversion : 7 hours. That make no sense and I'm not even sure why I'm still trying to make it work. Refund incoming soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@miguel Tremblay That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to REMUX the recording to MP4 via OBS's built in remux tool, not TRANSCODE it via Handbrake.

Your own fault it's taking 7 more hours for it to finish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Miguel, Noah, Kristina, did you give Influx Importer a try ? we're here to solve any issue you have with MKV import inside Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@antoine
We are already investing HEAVILY in the CC suite. While we appreciate the effort your company has made in the Influx product, it is ludicrous for us to invest an additional $90 to have the ability to import MKV into Premiere Pro. As for the respondent who suggests we REMUX using the OBS studio built in muxer, that isn’t always the best option. Personally I prefer MKV simply because it doesn’t corrupt the stream should there be interference.

2cents, keep the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@miguel Tremblay: I record in MKV, then i remux in Avidemux (https://avidemux.sourceforge.net/ )
In this step i trim the beginnung and end, but there is no need to transcode, 3h Footage takes maybe 5 seconds with fast storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should never have been removed. MKV is one of the best video codecs for recording and viewing video files. Insane that CC doesn't have support for one of the most common video codecs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe cannot regard itself as a world-class video editor without MKV support, plain and simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

MKV support is actively being worked on. I don't have a release date to share currently but when that changes, I will update this message.

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great to hear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally!!! We really need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long can it take to just re-enable it, since it was present in past versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So @Fergus H and @AbhiSingh12 which is it? Worked on? or Being investigated? Those are two entirely different statements. Since "investigated" came second is that what we are to believe to be correct. And would either of you wish to comment on the time lapse between that pronouncement and the first time the term was uttered in this thread. Really? We pay a small fortune for your software and the single most obvious changes are the ridiculous artwork that appears on the app load each time there is an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Investigated? Seriously? Honestly, how hard can it be to flip a switch you turned off before? Or are you haggling over licensing? I am so sick and tired of your customers having to struggle because Adobe won't use its record profits to actually improve things, like hiring more developers or having weekend support or giving Pantone whatever it wants so we can GET OUR WORK DONE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is sad that thread comes as since 2019 and still no solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you wait for what Fergus has told you about MKV support being worked on, keep in mind that OBS also has a setting in the preferences where you can configure that it is recorded in .mov or .MP4. These formats are perfectly compatible with Premiere Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're still recording in MKV format that is remuxed in OBS. Plus the MKV format has advantages for streaming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I understand mp4 and mov are not crash proof. If the program crashes you need mkv in order to recover your data, a serious advantage for mkv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So @Fergus H and @AbhiSingh12 which is it? Worked on? or Being investigated? Those are two entirely different statements. Since "investigated" came second is that what we are to believe to be correct."

@Rormeister When we migrated ideas from User Voice to the Adobe Support Community, date stamps on the messages were lost. Abhi's comment about MKV support was originally posted before mine. It is correct that MKV support was being investigated, and is now being worked on. 

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news @Fergus H ! thank you very much for giving us the scoop to calm the anxiety.

I wonder how it will handle MKVs that carry more than one video stream, or several audio channels. But this is great. Adobe listens.

Votes

Translate

Translate