• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SPLIT VIEW in Project window... like in Media Browser and Premiere 6.5 (2002)

Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro's Media Browser has a Double-Column/Split view which is extremely useful. So why can't the Project window also have an option to toggle on/off Split view?

As implied by the name, Split view would split the Project window into 2 columns. In the left column, you'd have an always-visible List view of bins and sub bins. In the right column, you’d see a bin’s contents in either List or Icon view. Each column would be independently scrollable, just like in the Media Browser.

There are several benefits to this approach.

BENEFITS (see attached picture for reference):
-Lower bins don’t get pushed out of view when twirling open a bin with lots of content (see points 1 & 2).
-You get direct access to over 2X more assets using the exact same screen real-estate (points 1 & 2).
-You can use 2 view modes at the same time: List view for bins, where it makes most sense, and Icon view for media (point 3).
-When using icon view, you retain direct access to your bins (point 4).

Even Premiere 6.5 (2002) had a split view in its Project window! Why did Adobe remove this essential functionality in Premiere “Pro” 7.0?!

Adobe clearly understands the value of Split views since otherwise they wouldn't offer it in Premiere Pro's own Media Browser. It's time for Adobe to fix their 17 year old mistake and give us back Split view where it's needed the most: in the Project window!

Please comment and vote. Lets get this fixed once and for all!
Idea No status
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely this, yes please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be very useful! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please implement it!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be really helpful. Also, with 2 displays, there should be a way to extend the timeline to the number os displays connected. After Effects, back in 2011, that was so so so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use this all the time!

But even if I had no use for it, I would vote for this based on the excellent (and illustrated) explanation from the OP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, Davinci Resolve 16 already has a split view of sorts, called 'Bin List' (see picture).

Now it's your turn Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree with the author. This small change will make it easier for users to work with the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always been frustrated with bins in Icon view. I either have to have multiple tabs open or just do too much scrolling, sizing and clicking. The split view OP shows in number 3 is fantastic! I would use it all the time. I also always wondered why the Effects Panel only has a split view for Lumetri Presets. It might be silly for audio effects but Transitions would be a great start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this and another FR I made. If you'd like to see more FRs and share some of your own, please take a look at the FB group I started for this purpose: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1638270639681590.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This absolutely needs to happen please.

Avid and Resolve both utilize views like this and it makes total sense. The UI should focus on doing and seeing more with fewer clicks. One click on bin on the left column loads the contents into the right column. Selecting multiple bins should display their cumlative contents. Again, this is how professional edtiors work with Avid all the time.

It's silly that the idea exists in so many places yet hasn't been implimented where it matters most and would make the most sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate