• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

STOP SWITCHING TO THE NEXT CLIP WHEN I'M TRYING TO MANIPULATE KEYFRAMES

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is super annoying. I create a keyframe, let's say a motion keyframe. Set it to 50. Then create another one, set it to 100 and put it at the end of the clip. Then I scroll to the second keyframe and suddenly, Premiere has switched me to the next clip in the timeline for some reason. This is so annoying. Even moreso when I'm using my mouse to move the scrubber around, sometimes it juts me all the way to the end of the timeline. I can't imagine a scenario where I would want this behavior.
Idea Under review
TOPICS
Effects

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
65 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please add this, it's very frustrating. Also, being able to see the edges of the clips in the keyframe timeline would be useful. The first and last frame are always at the edges and not particularly easy to grab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, yes, yes!!! The last frame should ABSOLUTELY be in better view of the ECW so that keyframes on the last frame are easier to grab, as HKNYFilms suggests!!!

THIS is the sort of stuff Adobe should fix ASAP since it's the sort of thing that affects an intermediate to advanced editor's workflow on a daily basis!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't solve everyone's issue, but wrt HKNYFilms' comment, if you select the dropdown menu on the Effect Controls tab and unselect "Pin To Clip" you are then able to zoom and pan the keyframe display beyond the bounds of the selected clip. This makes it easier to grab and move keyframes at the start and end of the clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i turned off pin to clip and was instantly in love with it. And then the moment that I left the bounds of the clip, the playhead jumped from clip to clip until I was at the end of the sequence. USELESS! Does anyone test this ****?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. This feature request has been updated internally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Commenting again since this has more attention. Please:

1. Add some padding to the keyframe window - 5% either side of the in/out point so that we can easily grab keyframes at the end or just outside the clip boundaries.

2. When resizing the keyframe view vertically, it resets when deselecting and reselecting the clip. Please make the vertical size stay with the clip or global.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said, Andrew. I second those two suggestions.

I would also like to add a solution with precedent in existing premiere behaviors: Premiere may intuitively know when we would or would not want the selection to follow the playhead if we have the effects window selected. The precedent is: you cannot export media if the effects window is selected; you must first select the timeline to export. Therefore Premiere could recognize when we are in the effects control window [selection DOES NOT follow playhead] and when we are in the Timeline [DO follow playhead] scrubbing for colour / audio corrections.

Finally, as a half-baked solution, I would welcome a great big check box for 'selection follows playhead' in my effects panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES THIS IS SO ANNOYING ********

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also suggest implementing an "add start and end keyframe for selected parameter" feature. This is one of the handiest command in Avid Media Composer's effects editor, imho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be solved easily but just making "Selection follows playhead" a manual function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my two cents: This problem could be solved by handling keyframe snapping the way After Effects handles it. In AE if you shift-drag a keyframe towards the end of the clip, it snaps to the start of the last frame, but if you shift-drag passed the end of the clip, it snaps to the end of the clip. Something like "Snap to start of last frame of clip" could be a checkbox in Premiere Pro's preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Please. This is extraordinarily irksome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you. I came here in hopes to find someone talking about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned elsewhere, you can wire an empty key (I use the Y key) and map it to the menu item "Selection Follows Playhead." On tap per session does the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fran Roig- That was exactly what was happening to me...Thanks for the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the "pin to clip" selected but it still doesnt stay on the clip. It jumps to the end of the timeline when I'm in effect controls. I've never had a problem until just today. What changed??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely true!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a huge one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an easy fix to this: the playhead should automatically snap to the beginning of the last frame in the ECW. This way, any keyframe that's added will be added to the last frame, WITH THE CLIP STILL VISIBLE IN THE PROGRAM MONITOR! If the editor needs the keyframe to be at the END of the last frame, for whatever obscure reason, then they can manually pull them there. But even when doing so, the ECW still should not switch to the next clip, EVER!

Please fix this Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an improved version of this FR since it offers 2 concrete ways the Effects Control Window could be improved through better snapping, thereby solving the problem of switching clips: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/41067520-improved-snapping-...

Please take a look and vote! The 500+ votes here should count towards that FR since it's the same complaint, but with a concrete solution suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my workflow: I like to create keyframes passed the end of a clip so that the effect has handles (in a sense) and I can quickly apply transitions in the sequence and not worry too much about a keyframed action stopping during (e.g.) a cross-dissolve. Think, manual photo slideshow and other quick and dirty edits.

What works:
"Pin to clip" must be deselected (in the hamburger menu of the Edit Control Window), this allows me to move the playhead in the Edit Window passed the end of the clip boundaries (I/O) established in the sequence.
"Selection follows Playhead" in the sequence menu must ALSO be deselected to allow Premiere to behave as I described. If "Selection follows Playhead" is selected, moving the playhead passed the clip I/O inside the edit control window will cause the NLE to jump to the next clip in the sequence.

What I need:
A way to easily view the changes produced by a keyframe when the keyframe is moved outside of the clip I/O. For still images, I edit the keyframe within the clip i/o (so I can see the changes produced by my keyframe, then I grab the keyframe and drag it passed the end of the clip i/o).

It is my understanding that the source monitor does not show any applied effects (which makes sense), but the program monitor also appears to always follow the sequence playhead (which makes sense and is usually desirable), but sometimes I want a Program Monitor output which follows the playhead inside the Edit Control Window, even when I move that playhead passed the clip I/O in the sequence. Can I achieve this with the current version of PP?

Regards,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

To answer your questions: no, there isn't a way to achieve what you asked for in Pr at the moment.

I requested a solution to this problem years ago. It never got any attention. I posted my request again on User Voice recently. Take a look at it here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/41382235-transition-visibil....

My FR would toggle transitions on/off, but what you suggest Matt is an even better approach, since it would allow keyframe modification to always be visible in the Program Monitor, regardless of if the frame being modified in the ECP is visible in the Timeline or not. I'll create a new FR for this and post the link here once it's live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

I think this is the solution you're looking for: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/41957968-when-editing-in-ef....

Let me know if it would solve your problem.

While a agree 100% with the OP's post, it would be nice to see more posts offer solutions rather than just gripe about the problem. Even nicer would be a way to combine related FRs so they appear linked together somehow, or share the sum of votes on each one. The current voting setup on User Voice is an extremely poor reflection of which FRs should get Adobe's attention first, since more often than not, FRs with easily digestible, 'bite-sized' gripes get far more visibility and votes than longer, thoughtful solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate