• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline shouldn't have any blank rows: just fill the vertical space 100% with my tracks

Explorer ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure who wants blank rows and empty space above and below the tracks in the timeline pane, but I've just found that after doing some video nudging that I completely forgot about a track above my video that I had to later scroll to reveal.

I get that widening tracks vertically to show more information in them can be really useful, but the less I need to mess around with how this looks, the less likely I'm going to mistakenly hide tracks.

So this is two suggestions (for opt-in or opt-out preferences):

- Make the vertical space of the timeline pane be 100% full of the tracks unless the user specifically expands them

- Add a little button in the vertical slidebars to reset this view to 100%/evenly split distribution of tracks

- If a track within your current view of the timeline appears as empty, add a little indicator icon at the end of  tracks to show that there's clips to the left/right out of view. Maybe clicking on this little indicator will zoom the timeline to center on that next clip on that track?

- Add a little + button on the far left top/bottom edge of the highest/lowest tracks to add a new track of that kind above/below. So the highest video track would have a little + button to insert a new one above it, and the lowest audio track would have a little + button to add a new audio track below it. This would save having to find the "empty space" around them to right click to add a new track. The other right-click menu options might need a better place to appear.

This would be a nice addition for new users like me who are overwhelmed with all the navigation controls that are needed to understand what's going on.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are missing quite a some basic knowledge.

As Premiere has a high learning curve, I suggest you get a subscription at LinkedIn Learning and learn the basics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are suggestions that can go into the Preferences windows as opt-in or opt-out type settings. 
There's nothing wrong with improving the interface to be easier to understand and read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is essentially how after effects works because every layer is its own localized entity, but the layers are a fixed height, and you can't have two clips on the same layer unless you next them in a composition. But there is a shy/unshy feature that lets you hide layers you don't want to see. I could see some of theses features making it to premiere but I doubt adobe would go for it without an immense level of complaining from users. It's difficult to get adobe to fix known bugs that affect thousands of users.

Votes

Translate

Translate