Highlighted

100% CPU load, no GPU load

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

i just installed Premiere Pro on my computer (self built), and i have updated and performed a clean install of the latest NVidia drivers for my graphics card, but for some reason my graphics card won't help render live view. the CPU goes to 100% even when dropped to 1/8, and i can't watch actually see what my transition effects or general effects are doing or even adjusting them. please help.

running latest version of premiere pro, and yes i have enabled gpu acceleration in project settings.

specs:

I7-7700k 4.2Ghz

GTX1080

16GB RAM

500GB PCIE SSD

windows 10

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

100% CPU load, no GPU load

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

i just installed Premiere Pro on my computer (self built), and i have updated and performed a clean install of the latest NVidia drivers for my graphics card, but for some reason my graphics card won't help render live view. the CPU goes to 100% even when dropped to 1/8, and i can't watch actually see what my transition effects or general effects are doing or even adjusting them. please help.

running latest version of premiere pro, and yes i have enabled gpu acceleration in project settings.

specs:

I7-7700k 4.2Ghz

GTX1080

16GB RAM

500GB PCIE SSD

windows 10

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 09, 2020 2
Engaged ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Software Only perhaps?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by this? I specified that I was using the Cuda accelerated option? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK must've skipped that bit, some effects in your timeline are GPU accelerated, and some aren't. You can tell the difference by clicking the little icon which looks like a play button in your 'effects' window. Apply a GPU heavy effect on a clip and see if your GPU helps you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup, done that, no spike in GPU what so ever.

changed it to software only, which ran a bit better, but the effect was still not showing.

changed it back again to Cuda accelerated and no change.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not specify which Nvidia GPU you actually have. Newer versions of Premiere Pro now no longer support any GPUs that are more than two or three generations old. That will tell us which driver version is compatible, and whether or not Nvidia had depreciated CUDA support for a given GPU in the required driver version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes he did, 

GTX1080

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see that at first.

The newest version of both Premiere Pro and the newest version of the main Creative Cloud desktop app has detected major issues with all older Nvidia drivers up to and including the 451.67 Game Ready driver. The issues with the older driver versions that are making 14.3.2 choke have effectively disabled all GPU-based hardware acceleration when Premiere Pro is run with these older drivers. The fix is to update the graphics driver to the 451.77 Studio Driver or the 452.06 drivers. None of the other driver versions will work properly in the newest version of Premiere Pro.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup, as already stated in the main topic i have the latest drivers, which is 452.06.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, then, you may not have utilized any GPU effects. In fact, most effects and transitions are still CPU only.

Normally, I would have blamed this on a CPU that's too weak for the GPU. But in your case, you didn't pay attention to any special accelerated features of a particular effect or transition. You incorrectly assumed that all effects are GPU accelerated when in fact most aren't at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, the effect i'm trying to use has the icon for accelerated effects...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more possibility:

The problems may be caused by the improper uninstallation of the old drivers during the update process. Many users simply installed the newer drivers on top of the older troublesome drivers (which is the default procedure). That always leaves a mixture of both old and new driver components, which almost always results in a total mess. To minimize that risk, you must completely uninstall all traces of the older driver before you can install the newer driver. This can be done during the Nvidia setup program for the newer driver using Custom settings, and clicking the checkbox labeled "Perform a clean installation" to put a check mark inside that box.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you even reading my post? everything you have asked this far is in the topic. i did perform a clean installation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. I am stumped, especially since I have no problems whatsoever in either my main system or my reserve i7-7700 system. The GPU effects worked as expected on both of my systems.

With all that said, this just goes to show how Adobe has been becoming more and more elitist when it comes to hardware support. My own testing showed exactly why all Nvidia GPU architectures prior to Turing have aged very poorly in performance. And when the overall and GPU performance scores of a GTX 1080 Ti fall significantly behind even a cheapo Turing-based GTX 1650, you know something is up at either Adobe or Nvidia.

And even in Premiere Pro 2019 (13.1.5), the GTX 1080 would have been a little overqualified for a 4-core/8-thread that's of the same vintage as that GPU.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did, I do not believe there are more than one type of the standard gtx 1080 card

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem dude, this must be something to do with an update with NVidia drivers or Premiere Pro - or both.It's honestly so ridiculous tho cos Premiere has been working fine on my computer up until like 2 days ago. The program is literally unusable for me rn ugh.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, except I wasn't running Premiere until I moved it to my new machine yesterday. Everything has been running great in Resolve for 2 months -- and still is. I never could have imagined these issues wih my brand new ASUS Zephyrus G14 with specs that smoke nearly every Intel-based laptop. I hope they fix it soon... I'll be sticking with Resolve no matter what though now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, I finally got it to work!. I uninstalled Creative Cloud, Premiere Pro and Media Encoder all AGAIN for the umpteenth time AND the drivers again. Then I ran the CC cleaner tool. Reinstalled the 451.77 driver, then the CC and Premiere, and then just for the hell of it I installed the 451.77 driver again on top of itself -- fired it up and it finally plays , including the 57GB 4k 10-bit 4:2:2 file that spurred me to install Premiere since it won't run on DaVinci Resolve. I've been installing and uninstalling the same things over and over again for three days, including other Nvidia drivers as well. But finally, the drivers that installed on my second try finally worked on the about the 12th installation.

I think, at this point I'm going to buy Resolve Studio for $300 and only use Adobe when absolutely necessary -- and for Lightroom, but if anyone can suggest something they like more than Lightroom for organizing and color correcting images, please let me know.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2020 0