Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

120 GB Scratch disk

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greeting,
I have an old 120GB SSD that i wanna use it as a scratch disk. Is it better to dedicate it as Premiere scratch disk or use it as Windows 10 paging files?!! or divided the disk into 2 partisins and use them for both windows and premiere.!! Which one is better for maximam performance during editing not rendring.

Thanks,

(PC specs: 500GB SSD for windows. 2TB nvme for editing, Ryzen 3950x with 32GB 3200,)

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

I'd take it out or use it for a backup disk. That's it.

All your files on the m2 drive will be the quickest. You can leave all the settings for projects on the default c: drive. Bill Gerke did a bunch of testing and found 1 nvme was basically fast enough. I have 2, my boot drive and a drive for all projects and media, works great. You should probably up your memory, 32gb is not nearly enough with 16 cores (2gb per core, 1 gb per thread each!)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

You're welcome. There is a good use for the 120gb SSD, besides quick backups to have the files you need on a separate different drive, you can use it to store generic assets, logos, sound fx, templates etc.. You can use the assets from there or copy the ones you use to the project folder. It's good to have backup files on a separate disk, but if you do, remember if the building burns down, your out of luck. So, an offsite back is important also.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd take it out or use it for a backup disk. That's it.

All your files on the m2 drive will be the quickest. You can leave all the settings for projects on the default c: drive. Bill Gerke did a bunch of testing and found 1 nvme was basically fast enough. I have 2, my boot drive and a drive for all projects and media, works great. You should probably up your memory, 32gb is not nearly enough with 16 cores (2gb per core, 1 gb per thread each!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, very much appreciate your advice 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. There is a good use for the 120gb SSD, besides quick backups to have the files you need on a separate different drive, you can use it to store generic assets, logos, sound fx, templates etc.. You can use the assets from there or copy the ones you use to the project folder. It's good to have backup files on a separate disk, but if you do, remember if the building burns down, your out of luck. So, an offsite back is important also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I do backup the whole projects on an external HDD. The storing generic assets is what I need, great Idea. I'm so thankful 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines