• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

14.0.1 max bit depth BUG

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noticed a bug with the new 14.0.1 update: the max bit depth selector in sequence settings changes the luma of the timeline - i.e. much duller/darker when selected and normal when deselected.

I have ProRes422HQ as the codec for sequence settings when I'm seeing this bug, and Metal acceleration.

Anyone else seeing this?

Cheers,

Mike

MacPro2013, D700, MacOS 10.14.3

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not getting any difference here, Win10, Nvidia 1060.

Let's see if some others can post their results ... see if this is something on your rig or across some subset of users. Either way, good to know.

For a bit of information ... Max bit depth is a semi-optional setting. IF you have a full GPU like yours ... so something other than "Software Only" is available in the Project Settings dialog for Mercury Acceleration ... and IF like me, everything is getting Lumetri color effect applied ... then the Max Depth option doesn't do anything. All calculations will be at max bit depth anyways.

Premiere's processing chain takes the bit depth of the individual clip on import/ingest ... calculates the clip as effects are used on a sequence ... and then takes the export dialog settings for format/codec chosen and computes the import data into the export data. If all effects that have bit-depth are at 32 bit, Premiere will stay in 32 bit float for the entire processing chain.

So 10/12 bit media coming in, processed as above ... and exported to format/codecs with standards for 10/12 bit media ... will go directly into the bit-depth of the format/codec chosen for output.

Where you need that Max Bit Depth option is:

1. If you do not have a full discrete and recognized GPU. How do you know? If you can set anything other than Software Only in that Project Settings dialog for Mercury Acceleration.
  2. If you do not use any color correction on a clip, and are not doing any major re-sizing either. Either color correction or major resizing will set Premiere to sending computations through the GPU ... at the higher bit depth.

What Max Bit Depth normally does ... is when you don't have a full GPU ... it tells the CPU to process the encoding using the higher-bit-depth 32 bit float math all the way through the process. Which is why ... if you have a GPU and it will be used, it's not necessary to have Max Bit Depth selected.

Here's a link to a tutorial I did for MixingLight.com's subscription website ... and this one is free, outside the paywall. I spent hours of time on phone and screen-share and in person with then-color engineer Francis Crossman (who's now Co-Product Manager for Premiere Pro) and many emails forth and back between Francis and colorists Robbie Carman and Patrick Inhofer of MixingLight to both get this ready as a presentation in the Flanders/MixingLight booth at NAB last April and for this tutorial.

How Do You Finish at the Highest Possible Quality?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome post Neil, thank you 🙂

For my rig would you recommend selecting 'max bit depth' in the export dialogue when using ProResHQ as the codec?

i.e. does that tick box do anything in that instance?

My workflow is to pre-render the timeline and export with 'use previews' selected...

Cheers,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your rig, and that codec ... I'd leave it off. From all the discussions I've had with the engineers, Robbie & Pat ... and all the testing we've done ... I can't find any issues. Which isn't to say that there might not be an issue if X times Y is applied to Q over there ... sigh. There's always caveats.

Do be careful not to use any 8-bit effects, so always make sure any color/tonal effect you apply has a 32 bit "lego block" in the listing in the Effects panel.

Max Bit depth does the same thing basically in both Sequence and Export work.

Max Render Quality btw is another ... hmmm ... option. What that does is "up" the math density if there's resizing going on. So ... if you're resizing, and you see jaggies on a diagonal, then definitely use Max Render Q. But ... if you're not resizing, or even if so, and you're not getting jaggies on diagonals ... then MRQ isn't needed either.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, 

Sorry to hear about this. Is it possible for you to share a download link for the sample ProRes media to test the issue at our end? 

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sumeet,

Tried a few tests - the footage that I'm seeing this bug on is 1080p 25p ProRes 422 from a Ninja2. It doesn't seem to matter

what I have as the render codec on the timeline. Toggling between 'max bit depth' on and off shows a big change in the image... darker and duller.

FS7, DJI etc footage doesn't show the bug.

Here's a clip to test:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ah08c6z48ct1e80/AABYGH6cuK4i2D9TcKD8RMTHa?dl=0

Thanks,

Mike Kelland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the excact same issue. Also only on ProRes Files. Any other format like .MXF or .MP4 do not show this problem.

This is just one of many issues i have with the new 2020 Update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matthias,

The vast majority of users aren't having this problem. Which actually makes it more important that you post a detailed description of your issue over on their UserVoice system.

THAT system goes directly to the engineers, and every post is read by at least one engineer. I got to talk with one of the engineers who reads those at Adobe MAX last November, and his biggest complaint was not getting enough posts with enough detail for him to get a good handle on what's going on. "X is broken, fix it!" ... doesn't tell him squat if none of his systems can replicate some sort of problem.

So ... include details of your system, the media involved and whence it came, what storage it lives on, what effects are involved in the sequence, and the steps that you take when this occurs.

That gives them enough data to correlate posts and sort out some of the factors that may be critical in causing this, and ... if needed ... gives them users to contact for additional data or testing a fix/workaround.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont know if this is related but..

After changing a slew of things to fix a terrible premiere slowdonw. (Thats fixed)

The image is now dfferent, posterisation has apeared in the image as if the footage lacks bit depth. colour is same.

I have a master adjustment layer with a lumetri fx which has a creative LUT and a few further colour tweaks.

I was right on the edge of what was possible with a dramtic colour grade but it held up fine for last year of work on project.

1.re-imported original vidoe files , stiil wrong

2.opened legacy copy of file, still wrong

3. imported a legacy (correct) rendered movie form the project into timeline looks normal.

4. rendered test from timeline, errors are in the rendered movie

im using transcoded prorez 442 files

any help apreciated

is there 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a year-old thread on a different issue.

Please start a new thread with a title summing your problem ... and give enough details we can start to at least ask questions.

From what you posted above, I'm not sure what you've been doing or where things go south.

Start with a new project, import the original media into that, and see what you have. Then try a new project, using the MediaBrowser to select and import the contents of the old project file into that. See what's going on.

Then start that new thread telling us your steps in order, and preferably with a screen grab or three, all drag/dropped directly onto the text reply box so we can see them.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi point taken , my sincere apologies im new to forums.

After much pain i managed to solve the problem by toggling the rendering settings in project manger, instant fix. But no idea why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If toggling the rendering settings in the Project settings changed things, you have almost certainly a GPU driver issue.

The current game-ready drivers for Nvidia cards are causing all sorts of troubles, so if you've an Nvidia card, do to their driver page, download and do a clean install of the Studio driver.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the info appreicated.

im on mac so no idea about video drivers and updating them.

unfortunately apple no longer supports OS updated for my 2013 mac pro. 

im hoping I can hobble along til i get money for a new mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines