My business relies on my freedom as a creator to resize and adjust captions as needed. This new 15.0 update, in a misguided effort to streamline the process of creating engaging captions from an srt file, restricts me from resizing and moving text to where I want, restricts me from creating/seeing two active captions tracks for when subjects talk simultaneously and restricts me from copying and pasting from srt files onto manual titles like I used to.
I've been a loyal adobe user for 3 years and am truly appalled at the lack of care given to creators like myself in transitioning to this odd new workflow. If anyone can help me adjust to my 3 gripes above, it would be much appreciated!
The Essential Graphics panel is where you control the things like size and location. Have you tried working with that?
Here's their page on the new Captions processes.
Of course. I live in the essential graphics panel. Thank you for the link though.
I've adjusted size and the "text box" multiple times but the only thing that works is alignment and zone adjustments. Sometimes progress moves too fast I think.
Also the idea that I can't see two captions tracks at the same time is a hilarious "feature" to this "update"
There are definitely some growing pains... For some users, this may require continuing to work in 2020 while some additional features are sorted.
1) restricts me from resizing and moving text to where I want...
I'm going to assume you found the regular positioning tools for the new captions - as Neil says, Essential Graphics Panel -> Edit mode -> Align and Transform. But it is true that there are some limits of how close to the edges you can place captions. The limits are closer to the edges than was true of the old caption controls. BUT the caption track is no longer a video track, and you can't apply the Effect Controls/position properties to move it closer to the edges. Just make sure that you are maximizing the limits the new captions provide.
2) restricts me from creating/seeing two active captions tracks...
Yes, a deal breaker for you. There are other requests for this, but I don't see one on UserVoice. I know there were in the Beta forums. If you post a feature request for this, paste a link here so it can be upvoted.
3) restricts me from copying and pasting from srt files onto manual titles...
I'm not sure what you mean here. I can copy paste caption text.
Staff are actively working on captions. Keep the feedback coming.
1. If a maximum is decreased, doesn't it become more like a minimum? Why would you guys place arbritrary limits on caption tracks? Just make them video tracks again or stop forcing everyone to abide by strange settings. There's literally no reason for caption tracks to not have the same transform functionalities as video tracks.
2. Will do.
3. This is what I had to resort to considering all of the limitations you guys put in on the new caption tracks. In previous Adobe versions I would copy the text and paste from the srt file into my own essential graphic title and the format would not change. Now you guys make it so if I try to circumvent the caption track and create my own titles, I can't keep the same format in a title I've created.
When do you think a new update come?
Once you've added a Captions track, you can simply right-click in the header for that captions track and among the options is to add another Captions track ... so yes, you can do multiple caption tracks in the new setup.
Yes you can simply add tracks but you simply cannot see them at once
You're right! I hadn't caught that yet. Seems ... odd.
And there's a bizarre length of text characters for say 708 captions, where ... with a LOT of screen left ... it just doesn't show the rest of the line.
You can get it to auto-break into a separate line with subtitles, but not with Captions.
You can type some text and then a bunch of spaces and some more, and get side-by-side with subtitles, but any line-break goes to the middle of the text box. So it doesn't really allow the side-by side work you need, true.
I added a post on the public beta about this ...
And of course, everyone is welcome to go over there and pile on with problems and suggestions and workflow needs.
As well as posting here ... and of course, over on their UserVoice system as well.