• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2020 (v14.5) – Copy/ Paste/ Undo/ Redo – Laggy In Long Timeline?

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To begin, I should say that I normally edit in long (0-12 hours of material) timelines as I like to have access to a wide swath of material to choose from all on one timeline.

In a nutshell, the problem I have in v14.5 is that if I delete or add media to or from the existing media on the timeline there is a lag. It’s like the program has to ‘think’ for a moment before expanding or contracting the timeline to accommodate the command. Similarly, when I undo/ redo adding or deleting this media, there is also the same lag.

I will say that I noticed that if I worked on a timline with less (0-1 hour) material, the lag wasn't there in the same way.

Also, I will say that in no way did I have this issue in CC2019 (v13.1). But in that version, hitting the spacebar to play, there was usually a lag of 1-3 seconds which is the reason I want to upgrade.

Can someone please confirm if my issue is somehow 'normal' or not and if there is a solution?

Much appreciated!

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boat,

Sorry friend. I would say that it's not good technique or even a good idea to have 12 hours of footage in the Timeline. Are you doing a pancake timeline thing or what? Let me know.

It will be very laggy unless you have a gajillion Gigs of RAM installed. What's your system looking like? What kind of footage? What style of production is this that you need so many clips on the Timeline to get work done?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thank you very much for the quick reply. Good to see you still kicking after all these years 🙂

Apologies, I forgot to include the specs:

2013 Macbook Pro (16GB) w/ Lacie Thunderbolt JBOD, w/ PPro writing to external SSD. Mojave 10.14.2

No pancake timelines, just laying everything out and then cutting scenes, then moving the scenes around to shape/ build the narrative. I like this best.

As mentioned, PPro v13.1 has no issue allowing me to work the way I described with the except of hitting the spacebar does not immediately play the material. There is a delay and hence the wish to upgrade.

*It's almost as if the difference between v13.1 and v14.5 has something to do with 14.5 holding all the timeline media in memory (I know this is not possible but as an example) and therefore laggy where adding/ subtracting from it. Whereas 13.1 usually has to search for it on the drive (when hitting the spacebar) but has no issue expanding/ subtracting the total timeline material, it's that fast. But that's just my intuition/ guess.

The project I mention here is a doc film and part of 4-5 other PPro projects (all containing separate characters) that will be also be cut down and hopefully/ eventually all merged into one project file (film).
If you've got any extra insight that can head off any headaches using this approach, I'm happy to hear them now 🙂

Thanks amigo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and the footage is almost all ProRes with a small amount of H.264.

But again... v13.1 always let me add/ suptract/ copy/ paste/ undo/ redo to a 12 hour timeline with ZERO issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kevin, methinks your questions were the rhetorical kind. I guess that's that then.

I went back to v13.1... and will stay there for a good long while.

Good luck to everyone else here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines