• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

24fps, 60fps, 59.94fps sequence settings

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The final destination for my video will be YouTube 1080p 24fps.

I'm shooting everything in 60 fps with my DSLR and 59.94 fps with my GoPro.

I'm shooting at a higher frame rate so I can use smooth slow motion shots. Should my sequence in Premiere be 24fps or 60fps?

If I interpret my 60 footage down to fit a 24 timeline, it plays at the right speed, but do I lose my ability to have smooth slow-mo shots?

Should I keep my sequence at 60, but when I export, change the settings to 24?

What's the best way to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

You CAN shoot everything at 60/59.94 fps, but as Jim said, it's definitely better if you shoot at more standard frame rates like 24 or 30 (and secretly these are usually 23.97 or 29.97). In fact, are you sure your DSLR is shooting at true 60 and not actually 59.94? Have you looked at the Frame Rate column in Premiere after importing them? If you shoot everything at 60, you may have a noticeable jitteriness to your video when it's reconformed to 24. A lot of people never notice, but video pros do

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shoot all real-time footage at 24.  Only shoot the slow-motion footage at higher frame rates.

Yes, this means you need to decide when you shoot if a shot will be real time or slow motion.  You can't decide that later.

Edit at 24, and Modify the higher frame rate clips down to 24 to match.

This will provide the best results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. That makes a lot of sense.

However, many times I don't know if I'll be using it in slo-mo or not. Assuming I can't switch back and forth between frame rates, what's the second best way to solve my problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You CAN shoot everything at 60/59.94 fps, but as Jim said, it's definitely better if you shoot at more standard frame rates like 24 or 30 (and secretly these are usually 23.97 or 29.97). In fact, are you sure your DSLR is shooting at true 60 and not actually 59.94? Have you looked at the Frame Rate column in Premiere after importing them? If you shoot everything at 60, you may have a noticeable jitteriness to your video when it's reconformed to 24. A lot of people never notice, but video pros do. That's why it's best to shoot at 24 if you're exporting at 24.

So if you DO end up shooting everything at 60/59.94, I'd make your sequence match that footage and let Premiere handle the frame rate change at the export stage. In the Export Settings window, look for the Time Interpolation drop down and select Frame Blending (better) or Optical Flow (best) to create a better result out of the frame rate conversion (just know it takes longer to export).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

many times I don't know if I'll be using it in slo-mo or not.

The second best way is to become accustomed to making that decision when you shoot, and sticking to it.  Or, shooting it both ways if you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Jason , 

If I shoot in 60 fps may i need to set sequience at 24 fps and export at 60 fps , i assume not

If i shoot a 60 fps may do i need to set sequence at 60 fps and export at 60 fps

If I shoot at 60 fps may i set sequence at 60 fps and export at 24 gfps 

if I shoot at 120 may i set mny sequence at 24 and export at 60 fps

general do i neeed to set mmy sequence the same as for export . I presume yes 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines