Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

32-Bit QuickTime Support Ending - Premiere v12.0.0

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My team is now seeing this warning throughout our projects.  "32-bit QuickTime Support Ending"  -  essentially saying please transcode any media under this legacy format for the future.

What exactly falls under legacy 32-bit quicktime?  Is it certain codecs?  Or all QT MOV files?  If the later, that is kind of huge.

Thank you,

Nick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Here are the .mov formats we support natively -

Native Video Import:

* DNxHD/DNxHR

* JPEG

* PNG

* ProRes

* Cineform

* DV

* AVCI

* h264

* IMX

* MPEG2

* HDV

* HEVC

* XDCAM

* Uncompressed

* Animation (without delta frames)

Native Audio Import:

* Uncompressed

* AAC

* AC3

Native Video Export:

* Uncompressed

* DV

* Cineform

* DNxHD/DNxHR

* Animation

* ProRes (Mac only)

Native Audio Export:

* Uncompressed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I'd share a few quick fixes regarding some issues with QuickTime files in PR CC2018 and AE CC 2018.

A documentary that I've been consulting on for more than a decade just got some more funding.  The production company has several DV-NTSC files and AIFF files that wouldn't import into CC 2018 that import fine into CC 2017.  Some files date back to 2005 and others to 2007.  Many originated in Final Cut Pro Classic (the pre-Intel version of the application).

The DV-NTSC clips resulted in the following error message in PR CC 2018:

File format not supported.

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 7.03.18 AM.png

The AIFF files resulted in the following error message in PR CC 2018:

Unsupported format or damaged file.

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 7.12.49 AM.png

Again, these are files that import as expected into PR CC 2017 or earlier as they are.

Fortunately, the fixes were pretty easy (frustrating, but easy):

• The DV-NTSC files needed the ".mov" filename extension to be added to the filename to import as expected.  Apparently, this being hidden was enough to prevent the file from importing in the current version of PR while not causing trouble in prior versions.
  • The AIFF files needed the ".aiff" filename extension to be changed to ".wav" to import as expected (just changing it to ".aif" resulted in the same error message as when named ".aiff").

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a long and complex documentary project that consists mostly of DVProHD (Panasonic P2 footage rewrapped in QT wrapper), with some Canon DSLR footage (transcoded to Apple Prores 4.22). I am getting the "32-bit Quicktime support ending" message.

These are both widely-adopted industry-standard formats for legacy and current projects. After the 32 bit rendering support is ended, will will updating to future CC versions break existing projects? Will we even be able to open existing projects and render them out? Will we even know what projects will be vulnerable to this, or is it just going to be a horrible surprise to open a project one day and see "Sorry, we cannot render this project because 32 bit Quicktime support has ended. We cannot transode your footage so that you can work with this project because 32 bit Quicktime support has ended".

If so, that would be completely insane. Please clarify this very worrisome error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I appreciate the need to move with the times, is it possible that this move is a time bomb? Example - in order to edit old projects in Premier, I would need to go back to all of those projects, transcode all of the media and replace if needed. This could be a massive, massive undertaking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>need to go back to all of those projects, transcode all of the media and replace if needed

You may want to consider keeping your current version of Premiere Pro and NOT updating to the 2018 version (which also no longer has Dolby as an export option)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit late, already updated. It would be nice if PP could actually highlight the offending file. I imported 188 clips. I had to go back and put them in one at a time. I'm sure there's a better way of doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of these links may help you

previous versions https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2389056 see reply #3

or

SOME direct zip links https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-apps-download.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, the issue came up only after updating to 2018, upgrading the project, and making a large number of edits. Going back to 2017 is no longer an option, as the project is already 2018 and a long ways down the road.

The bigger issue here is -- new project or not -- as a documentary filmmaker it is essential to be able to work with media in a variety of formats, including very common "legacy" formats. I am migrating a long-form historical documentary work-in-progress from FCP7 to PP via XML, which is already more than enough of a PITA. Is this an Adobe vs. Apple licensing issue? Fix it, Adobe!

The fact that there is not even a published list of the specific codecs that are slated to be orphaned is appalling. How can I know what will need to be transcoded if I don't have a list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will 32-Bit QuickTime support be ending with Adobe Apple users as well as Windows? If so, what codecs this will impact? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but if the 32-bit quicktime files are no longer supported, and do I need the cheap channel that codecs need to use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

halpa channel? sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking through the webs, I came across this (Apple confirms QuickTime for Windows is dead, Adobe stuck between rock and hard place - ExtremeTech). Discouraging, but now I remember thinking that this would be an inevitable conclusion.

FYI, I've tried the MXF OP1a JPEG2000 format with alpha channels and results are promising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this warning on a brand new project (in PP 2018) where I'm capturing from DV and HDV over Firewire. Will this change affect capturing over Firewire? I know Firewire is all but dead, but I often help customers digitize their miniDV, DV, and HDV tapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this warning on a brand new project (in PP 2018) where I'm capturing from DV and HDV over Firewire. Will this change affect capturing over Firewire? I know Firewire is all but dead, but I often help customers digitize their miniDV, DV, and HDV tapes.

Short answer no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to echo the request for a list of affected codecs. Also, a less ambiguous timeframe would be most helpful.

I work with a lot of mini-DV footage, captured via Premiere Pro CC (.mov, dvcp). I've got around 150GB of footage spread over 1,500+ clips in this format and intend to continue to shoot and capture this way.

Is the dvcp codec that Premiere Pro writes to via the capture window reliant on 32-bit Quicktime, or is it natively supported? I'm getting the message pop up, but also have a shed load of archival and library footage of various formats, codecs, etc. in the same project. With no indication given as to which file(s) will need transcoding when support is dropped, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We’re working on a list and should have this ready soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will you also provide answers to questions such as the ones I posted above?

Wlll you provide a timetable for incorporating native support for Prores?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any list would be extremely helpful, Steve. Most professional Adobe users realize that Apple has created this situation but it should be a top priority by Adobe to provide 1) a list of affected codecs, 2) a definitive answer if Media Encoder will still be able to transcode legacy QT files, and 3) a best-practices advisory as to what transcode files might be best under different use circumstances.

The semi-panic that is building may be eased by more delicate PR for those of us who are shooters/editors first and pseudo-engineers only out of necessity. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the .mov formats we support natively -

Native Video Import:

* DNxHD/DNxHR

* JPEG

* PNG

* ProRes

* Cineform

* DV

* AVCI

* h264

* IMX

* MPEG2

* HDV

* HEVC

* XDCAM

* Uncompressed

* Animation (without delta frames)

Native Audio Import:

* Uncompressed

* AAC

* AC3

Native Video Export:

* Uncompressed

* DV

* Cineform

* DNxHD/DNxHR

* Animation

* ProRes (Mac only)

Native Audio Export:

* Uncompressed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Steve.  Very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this message when exporting ProRes 422, which is supposed to be a natively supported format. Are all flavors of ProRes supported?

Screen Shot   copy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also receive the error when I export a quicktime h264. According to your list above, isn't this supposed to be native as well? Does that mean Adobe's going to drop it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe if you output to h264 with a mp4 container ( not Quicktime), this is resolved.

Not sure if that works for you, but hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that, but I need to do it in a .mov container because I need to option to have my audio channels uncompressed. Which, to my knowledge .mp4 does not support. If this is incorrect please let me know because i would much prefer to use .mp4 if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you're right about the audio. However you do have dolby digital as an option, or simply cranking your bitrates thru the roof - but it looks like it caps at 320... Not much help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines