• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

44.1 kHz to 48 kHz - change it or leave it?

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though a longtime television producer, I'm pretty new at hands-on video editing.

I'm just finishing up a short (1:45) promotional video in 1080 HD of mostly still images with a few video clips. There is no nat sound from the video -- the entire audio trick is music, acquired as 44.1 kHz files, mixed in and output from Audition in 44.1 kHz.  I (stupidly) did not change it there, and I've edited the video to the 44.1 music.  

So... the video is cool, but I'm vexed by this audio situation.

The destination of this video is all online -- the client's website, instagram page and perhaps YouTube.  I know I -should- deliver this project in 48 kHz, and I can do that by using that setting in the export phase. However....

Questions:  

Is it OK to keep it in 44.1 kHz for the purposes above, or would it really be perceptively better at 48?

If I go to 48, will Premiere simply convert to that in the export, and will that conversion sound good?

Or do I need to take it back into Audition to convert it, then lay it back into the project?

If I bump it to 48, will it notably affect the duration of the music track, and will I need to re-edit the video to retain the points where it now synchs nicely with the audio track?

I'll appreciate any any advice y'all can offer.

Thanks!

Eric

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know a number of audio people who always suggest working at 44.1 for video post, so I doubt there'd be any problems delivering in 44.1. You can also normally export at 48 from a 44.1 sequence without issues.

But of course, this takes a couple minutes to test is all. So ... give it a whirl.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just exported the project using the YouTube 1080 HD preset -- at 48 kHz -- and it sounds great (at first listening, at least)  So Premiere adequately converts from 44.1 to 48 on the fly during the export?  Seems too good to be true, but I'm continually amazed by thie software anyway.  Can you suggest a good way to test my new 48 kHz audio track that might reveal any weaknesses that aren't apparent to my ears?

Also, thank you Neil and Salvo34 and Steve for your replies!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always convert right off the bat to 48k wav for editing. But I jump through the hoops.. unlink in camera stuff and convert replace, or else record originally as 48k wav ( or broadcast wave ).

But I am a hobbyist so don't know how earphones and high end sound stuff would interpret the end result. I doubt it matters in my case.

The time would be the same for sync... just the frequency range changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it were for Broadcast the specs would likely require 48K. For social delivery it's probably not going to be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simmilar problem. I am to recieve narration from a studio, and they stated that they will deliver the audio in 16 bit 44.1 should I ask them to send it at 48 ? Not sure if it matters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Probably doesn't matter that much, but occasionally there are issues with mixed 44.1/48 hz sound in a project. Where converting all of one to the other fixed it.

Not sure why anyone works 44.1 these days.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines