• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4k 59.98fps mov file lagging

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! really stuck on this one and could use some help. So I recieved this video from a freind. When I open it on my computer with VLC it plays just fine, the problem starts when I start using this video in any adobe program. When I playd the video initially it lagged (played very choppy). At first I thought the problem might be with the settings, I checked, and the settings - 2160 x 3840 at 59.98fps (vertical filming) matched the sequence settings. I tried exporting the file at a lower bit rate, and the export was lagging as well. I tried changing it to mp4 with media encoder, to 4k and full hd, in both attemts the result was also lagging.

As i need to edit this video already i sent the original version, the one that hasent been thouched by any program on my laptop, and sent it to diffrent freind who also edits with premier. When he opend the file that I was having trouble with it worked just fine on his pc. He sent me a version that was on mp4 format and works just fine with premier.

What could be the problem?

I know this is a heavy file, but my laptop handels 4k files, and the specs are 10th gen I7 6 cores, rtx 2060, 16gb ram.

Any help would be very helpfull! I might run in to this problem in the future and wish to resolve it before it happens!

TOPICS
Editing , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avichai,

Need to know more about the computer you are editing with and the camera that shot this vertical video file.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply! I am editing with a laptop, the model is HP ENVY 15 ep0098nr. the camera is a relitavly new iphone, unsure about the exact model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2160 x 3840 at 59.98fps. The 60FPS is the gotcha. Have you tried editing at 1/2 reolution or 1/4 reolution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy, thank you for replying! lowering playback resoulutin hasent helped! a freind of mine that uses a pc with lower specs sais the viseo runs smoothly on premier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have high resolution, high framerate, variable framerate media that's in maybe the worst codec for editing (HEVC). It's likely going to cause problems on a lot of machines.

H264 (AVC) and H264 (HEVC) are compressed media that require more processing power to decode (play) in editing software. HEVC more so than H264.

Since the video is vertical I'm assuming it's shot on a phone, and the framerate 59.975 is not a typical framerate, so both of those things are indications that the clip would have variable framerate, which is like poison for editing software (that likes a constant framerate.)

High resolution and high framerate will just compound the problems.

To learn more about codecs: https://blog.frame.io/2017/02/15/choose-the-right-codec/

To learn more about variable framerate and how to fix it: https://www.reddit.com/r/VideoEditing/wiki/faq/vfr

Edit to add: what I would do if I were you is either:

1. Transcode the clip straight away using Adobe Media Encoder to something like ProRes 422 LT and then import it into Premiere. If you've already got editing done you can replace the clips in the project with the newly transcoded ones. The ProRes will be a larger file size but it's an intraframe codec so easier on your hardware. The resulting file will also be constant framerate. The caveat here is that any issues as a result of the VFR will be burned in, so things like audio going out of sync. If you notice audio going out of sync and need that fixed you'll have to look at my link about VFR to see about correcting it.

2. If the VFR doesn't cause significant problems then you can make proxies into a low bitrate, low res intermediate codec like ProRes Proxy. If you have major VFR issues then you'd notice that the proxies don't perfectly match the original footage. You can do a spot check when you are done editing just to make sure it's not majorly off, or again - see the link about correcting the VFR. I'd probably go this direction because you can always delete the proxies when you are done with the project.

Optional: If the intended output fps is 60fps, then I'd change the sequence FPS to be 60fps (since the clips fps is variable anyway you may as well have it interpolate to what the output will be in the sequence rather than on export.)

Optional 2: It's also worth noting that if you don't have a need to be working with 60fps footage then I'd aim to shoot in 30fps. It's not that common for live action stuff to be 60fps. So is it worth doubling the performance requirements and processing?

Optional 3: 10 Mbps is a pretty low target for 4k 60fps footage. You probably want to bump that up when it comes time for your final export (just in case 10 Mbps was the plan).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phil thank you for replying! 

I tried using your method and the pro res file was lagging as well :(. what really bugs me about the whole thing is that the file runs smoothly on a the pc of a friend that has lower specs. why is it that no matter what i cant reformat the video to run smoothly on my laptop, but my freinds computer was having no problem doing so?

I guess what i worte was more of a rant of frostration than helpful information.

I will look into what you wrote as it is alot of information. but as of know still no fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case you are facing this bug that effects playback: Go to Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware and make sure the Input is set to No Input.

Also - make sure that your GPU is enabled as your renderer and that you are not using the recent Game Ready drivers for that GPU. There are some issues with those. You should be on the Studio Drivers.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/167762/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Phillip. I downloaded Nvidia studio, and am using gpu rendering. i am still experiencing the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try using Quick Sync with the H.264 video codec. The video below shows how to enable Quick Sync. You might also want to try ASIO4ALL drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines