• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4K Editing Lag on 1440p monitor but not 1080p?

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a 2160x1440 monitor to go with my regular 1920x1080 monitor, and I edit 100mbps 4K footage from my Panasonic G7 without using proxies. On my 1080p monitor, I could drag and drop 4min long video files into the library and start editing no problem and have never had any problems editing at all.

However, if I use Premiere on the 1440p monitor, the timeline freezes once I try dragging and dropping a large file but everything else is functional. I have to drag my Premiere window to the 1080 monitor before the timeline will stop freezing and start being functional again. There is a progress bar in the bottom right of the screen that says something about rendering or conforming each clip I drag, and even after the bar completes I would wait an extra 5 min but the timeline will stay unresponsive. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Please see my recorded maximum task manager usage during editing:

• CPU: 40% with occasional spikes to 100%
  • RAM: 9GB
  • SSD Usage: 15%
  • HDD Usage: 35%
  • GPU usage: 10%

Specs:

• Intel Core i7-8700
  • 16GB RAM
  • Premiere installed on 500GB SSD
  • Footage on 2TB 7200RPM HDD
  • AMD RX580 8GB
  • Windows 10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Yes. You have a new monitor and the timeline behaviour changes depending on which monitor you have the interface on. Sounds like glitch with user interface settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trash all your user settings as a first step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And generate new ones?

Can I ask how that might impact this situation? I don't have any settings that I specifically changed from defaults except for keyboard shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. You have a new monitor and the timeline behaviour changes depending on which monitor you have the interface on. Sounds like glitch with user interface settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh awesome thanks, will try that.

I should add that the timeline eventually unfreezes but that requires me sitting there waiting for upwards of 20 minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you find a way to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your system works like the one in the video link below then everthing is as good as it gets for better or worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines