• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4K proxy workflow - smart rendering implications

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a project shot in 4K Canon Raw format so my Camera originals are .CRM files 4096x2160

Delivery is 1920 so I'm working in 1920 ProRes timeline and I have created 1280x720 ProRes proxies (I'm not particularly bothered about the letterboxing while offline editing)

I am a bit confused about the rendering/smart rendering implications of this...

In this scenario - what format are my render files for the timeline & smart rendering export being created in?

I presume/hope it would be 1920x1080 ProRes created from the camera originals?

If in some eventuality I am required to produce 4K exports what is my best method?

Is it simply to change the sequence settings to match the camera original frame size, use my codec of choice and resize clips as neccessary and then export using the same settings?

Any help much appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Hi,

By default your Prview files ( assuming you have to render things on your timeline ) are in MPEG in oder to have quite light preview file rendered on your computer. If you use ProRes workflow on export, change your preview setting in the Sequence Menu / Sequence settings. Make your preview Match with the final render codec ( For example you render is encoded ProRes 422HQ, choose Preview In ProRes422HQ ). So You can use your already computed and rendered preview to accelerate the render. For t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

By default your Prview files ( assuming you have to render things on your timeline ) are in MPEG in oder to have quite light preview file rendered on your computer. If you use ProRes workflow on export, change your preview setting in the Sequence Menu / Sequence settings. Make your preview Match with the final render codec ( For example you render is encoded ProRes 422HQ, choose Preview In ProRes422HQ ). So You can use your already computed and rendered preview to accelerate the render. For the proxies, there is no direct link since Proxies are not used for render even still enabled in your timeline. Hope it Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks riklard

That's what I thought/hoped was the case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always test your workflow from soup to nuts...  So after generating a few  proxies, do a short edit and compare working with proxies enabled and disabled and then do an export to a full quality format.   I generally try and keep my proxies to the same pixel dimensions as my camera original, but that's just me...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So just for my clarification...

if you are using a smart workflow and wish to save in final export times you can benefit by setting your preview format to something like prores and PROVIDED that your export format matches this and you select 'use preview files' you will benefit from greatly reduced export times - assuming you have rendered in to out on your sequence between edits? 

Is it still advisable to use proxy files to assist timeline performance in addition to this and should you also set your proxy file format to match the preview - even if it's a lower resolution?? What benefit would you get from this in terms of performance (if any)? 

im guessing you will see improved timeline performance doing this IF your source media is a compressed format but that the preview files that get rendered will be full quality files that are used for the final render?

I just want to understand how all of these components interact so that I can plan an efficient workflow. My source files will be mainly mp4 and I do have a man nvme scratch drive that I can use for proxies and preview caches along with the source files im working on. 

thanks in advance!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines