A lot of lag in Premiere Pro on a good workstation

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

For a while I have been experiencing a lot of lag while editing in Premire Pro.

I have previously had a lot of issues with the program. Small things such as changing the opacity always worked perfectly. But when i did some intesnive editing it became laggy. At that time I had 16GB DDR3 RAM, an i7 4th gen and a GTX 1070.

Since I have upgraded to the following specifications:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (water cooled)

GPU: Radeon RX 6800

RAM: 48GB DRR4 3000Mhz

Drive: 1TB SSD and 1TB M.2 drive

The probgram definately has improved performance since I upgraded. Sometimes my project never even played and now it works great. However, over time I've seen more and more lag in the smallest of things. When I do an opacity transition and use the keyframes to fade out the video the project freezes and lags. SO then I press pause and the video doesn't even pause until about 3-4 seconds later. Then when I move the point I am in the time line and click somewhere alse it takes another 4-5 seconds to register that. All only from a small project with no serious editing in it yet. This really slows down my editing pace.

Before you tell me to change the playback quality - I have tried everything. I've looked up countless websites and videos trying to fix this issue. I have allocated as much RAM as I can to Premeire Pro. I have changed the playback quality to 1/4 (the lowest for 1080p projects). I have turned on GPU acceleration. 

The weird thing is, is that my old dusty computer was running at 100% in all of the hardware and lagged. My new computer which I spent thounds on gives out the same relative performance to the old computer but instead of running at 100% all of the hardware runs at 5% or 10% at most. Temperatures are low, cooling is good, everything is slightly optimized using overclocks. I have been video editing for 7 years, I have a GCSE in Computer Science and I am a computer enthusiast. This is why I am really confused as to what is happening. Could it be the drivers? I have the most up-to-date drivers for all of the specifications and I knew that AMD drivers were worse than Nvidia when I bought my graphics card but I didn't think they woul actually be that bad! All of the reviews and advertisements I have seen suggest that Ryzen 9's are amazing for editing and that the Radeon 6000 series plays a big role in good video editing performance - esppeicially relative to the price.

I'm never really the person to ask for help on the forums. But this has greatly affected me recently and I really need some help or advice. I can't find anything online with people with similar specs to me having the same problem - and with a solution.

Many thanks,

JJ Kirby.

TOPICS
Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?