Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AAF Exporting Issue in Premiere Pro CC 2018

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I'm having problems exporting an AAF from Premiere for use in Pro Tools. When I export the audio, all audio clips in the Premiere timeline are in line and in sync. However, after I export as an AAF, the clips are mostly a jumbled mess; out of sync, a minute ahead in some places etc.

I know this is not a Pro Tools problem, as I have tried importing the AAF into Logic Pro, and the same thing is happening. I have attached an image of the audio in the Premiere timeline, and the resulting audio in the Pro Tools timeline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 22.55.15.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 11.05.18 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Hey mate.

Had the same problem and so far I only found one fix.

You have to write out an XML and open/import it in the old version of Adobe Premiere (11.1.2 is what I use).
You can then write out an AAF from that version and it should work in ProTools.

With the newest version of Premiere my workplace have had major problems with it and AAF-exports. The only real fix we found was always to write out an XML and open it in the old version to export the AAF...

Not good! I really hope they look into it

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mate.

Had the same problem and so far I only found one fix.

You have to write out an XML and open/import it in the old version of Adobe Premiere (11.1.2 is what I use).
You can then write out an AAF from that version and it should work in ProTools.

With the newest version of Premiere my workplace have had major problems with it and AAF-exports. The only real fix we found was always to write out an XML and open it in the old version to export the AAF...

Not good! I really hope they look into it.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear others are having this problem. Very annoying to find this out after the edit has finished!

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it's video and audio a total mess on aaf import, the video sequence settings are altered on aaf reimport too. Spent days on it so far - this thread could be the answer. Thanks for posting. Have you guys filed a bug report? I just did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, solved a workaround. I had to download the trial of Audition and use (in premiere), Edit > Edit in Adobe Audition > Sequence. Then export the OMF/AAF from Audition which seems fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is exporting AAF from Audition a new feature in the 2018 version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I do that, and then make an AAF from that.  But the problem is... in that final AAF - all of the audio channels are the same.  All 6 channels have the same boom track, instead of them all being different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same issue finishing a series at the end of last year, and landed on the same fix (wash XML through Pr 2017).

I opened a support ticket with Adobe and spent a few sessions on the phone with them. In the end we finished the series and I didn't hear back from Adobe, though I'm sure they are now aware of the issue and hopefully working on a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same problem here, though I'm getting two different errors when exporting from PP version 12.0.0; 'AAFRESULT_INSUFF_TRAN_MATERIAL' and 'AAFRESULT_ADJACENT_TRAN'.

The XML export workaround worked for me, but not 100%.  There are some gaps where transitions should be.  And it was very slow when exporting the AAF from PP version 11.1.2.  At least everything seems to be in sync now.

And on a side note, the option to export an OMF/AAF from Audition was greyed out in Audition version 11.0.0 so I was forced to try the XML export workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Premiere 12 yesterday and had to export an AAF. I kept getting the AAFRESULT_INSUFF_TRAN_MATERIAL error as well and went through and deleted all transitions and was then able to export the AAF just fine. Fortunately the sound designer that needed it is going to rip it apart anyway. If that's feasible for you, it could be faster and hopefully more reliable than the xml and reinstalling an older version each time.

Also, I'm pretty sure Audition won't export an AAF, I have been looking and it doesn't seem to be an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant to say I exported an OMF from Audition (not AAF)! Unfortunately you can't do AAFs from Audition. Hope Adobe fixes this as it seems like quite a primary issue! Hope this helps. Cheers everyone for your responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export XML from Premier. Then create a new project and import XML

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE, we are two months in. YOU GOTTA FIX THIS. I'm on a deadline and you're killing me over here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I am having this exact problem @Gjerry.  Your workaround sounds good... but how does one import an XML into Premiere and then simply make an AAF from it?  Once you import the XML, there's still nothing in the timeline.

Can you give some more details on how this is done, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An XML can be created from anything in the project, you just have to make an XML of the timeline/sequence that you want to create an AAF of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure, Jason.  I got that far and made an XML.  Then I used an old version of Premiere and imported it there.  But it just shows a folder in the materials window.  Can't make and AAF with nothing in the timeline.  So, what's the next step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh crazy, I have no idea then. Sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export XML from Premier. Then create a new project and import XML

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I do that, and then make an AAF from that.  But the problem is... in that final AAF - all of the audio channels are the same.  All 6 channels have the same boom track, instead of them all being different.  Anyone noticed this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone been able to test AAF export with the latest version April 2018 (Version 12.1) to see if it fixed. I don't see it listed in the Fixed Issues report. I have installed the new version but don't have anything to test the AAF in.

- Jonah Lee Walker
Video Editor, Colorist, Motion Graphics Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a bug that I fixed in 12.1. I can't guarantee it is the same issue you were seeing since I don't have your project, but I suggest you try exporting again in the latest version. I know of multiple customers who reported something similar, and the fix worked for them. Let me know if it still occurs and we can file as a new bug in our database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello devinstone,

I am having the same issue with the AAF Export error in version 12.0.0 (Build 224).

I did open up my project onto a system that is running 12.1 and all of my text elements were all slightly scaled differently from where they were previously in version 12.0.0 (Build 224).

It would take me close to an entire day to re-adjust / re-conform all of my text elements in the 105 minute feature film.

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to the latest version of Premiere Pro today and my AAFs exported successfully.

Problem Solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version is the version where your metadata from your AAFS come through correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12.1 and above should have the fix, but it depends on what metadata you are referring to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines