Highlighted

Add an extra keypad for shortcuts to improve workflow

Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everybody,

I am looking to improve my workflow and I have been searching for a controller or console for shortcuts. I simply don't like any of those in the market (Loupedeck or Palette Monogram). I want to add an external keypad and use it for my shortcuts together with my normal keyboard and mouse. Something like the image below:

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 6.44.23 PM.png

I would use the numbers as shortcuts, eg: 1 = Razor Tool, 2 = Enable, 0 = Play-Stop Toggle. My question is: Does premiere support this? Will I be able to use the keypad and keyboard at the same time?

I see that there is a space at the side in the "Keyboard Shortcuts" section for a keypad.

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 6.52.22 PM.png

Any thoughts?

Best,

Ed.

TOPICS
Editing, Hardware or GPU, How to, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Add an extra keypad for shortcuts to improve workflow

Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everybody,

I am looking to improve my workflow and I have been searching for a controller or console for shortcuts. I simply don't like any of those in the market (Loupedeck or Palette Monogram). I want to add an external keypad and use it for my shortcuts together with my normal keyboard and mouse. Something like the image below:

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 6.44.23 PM.png

I would use the numbers as shortcuts, eg: 1 = Razor Tool, 2 = Enable, 0 = Play-Stop Toggle. My question is: Does premiere support this? Will I be able to use the keypad and keyboard at the same time?

I see that there is a space at the side in the "Keyboard Shortcuts" section for a keypad.

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 6.52.22 PM.png

Any thoughts?

Best,

Ed.

TOPICS
Editing, Hardware or GPU, How to, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many other options ... from gamer's button-boxes to the Xkeys and Streamdeck button boxes. All of them allow you to program for keystroke actions or combinations and sequences of keystroke actions called macros.

I have a Razer Orbweaver Chroma, because I could get if for under $70 on Ebay. It has 25 buttons, and up to seven different "levels" of buttons for many, many possibilities.

Xkeys are less expensive and come in several sizes by number of buttons. You set what each button will do, which can be a keystroke or series of keystrokes to do several actions. They're used heavily in stills work, but many video post people use them.

Then there are the Streamdecks ... the deluxe option. My colorist friends oft run 2-4 of them. They cost more, but if you can download an icon or create one for any command, you can set the button to lit up and show that icon. That is a nice touch, makes it easy to test and change your options, and quick to learn them, get them into muscle memory.

In my use, the Orbweaver is a nice addition to my full Tangent Elements control surface.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 1