Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add stroke or border to still image or video clip

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2011 Aug 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there a simple way to add a white border around a still image or video clip in Premiere Pro CS 5.5? I've seen the suggestions for adding a radial shadow and am unsatisfied with the results; it's nearly impossible to center the image within the border and many other suggestions out there do not address CS 5.5.

Thanks!

-jason

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 23, 2011 Aug 23, 2011

Here's a slightly more flexible option, even though it requires a bit more work:

1. Drag your photo or clip to the New Item button at the bottom of the Project panel. This will create a sequence with your clip in it, and it will match the dimensions of the clip.
  2. Create a new title while your sequence is active; this will enter the dimensions of the sequence into the dimensions of the title. Name it something like "border" or "frame."
  3. In the Title tool, select the Rectangle Tool and draw a box that com

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! You definitely win with this answer. I also added a 'Slider Control' and pick whipped the distance so I can play around with the overall "border" width of each side at the same time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you much.  The 4 shadows idea did the trick for me and was very simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a crop with a circular mask that I wanted a stroke on and had success using 2 drop shadows, one along the top and bottom edge.  It gave it a nice style effect as it wasn't a perfect stroke around the whole clip.  I could see using 4 drop shadows for perfection, but two did the trick for me.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use paint bucket

fill selector :opacity

stroke:  stroke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best option is Newbluefx plugins -PIP; Photo grid more Premiere had those options in Premiere 6.5 years but lost in upgrades

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is for free.

Yes we use to have the Clip effect up to CS2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very creative and takes a bit of time for frame shapes and sizes. Check youtube and there are other too. Pity Adobe has no border even to their PIP effects. Most editing program have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make a preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the Newbluefx makes multiple sizes very easy and you will save time and do more. I use PIP a lot for my TV Programs and lots of sizes shapes, circles, diamonds. multi screens with borders and shadows. Premiere is good but the plugins make it better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can make those also in Pr.

quick star pip which you can animate to.

quick pip.png

Made with a mask and a color matte.

Do you want a gradient for a border you can use the Ramp effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want a shadow, nest the pip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Ann

I have not been online for some time due to job overload. I see your style is not bad at.

This is some of the programs I do every week and has to be fast and neat so those work

around will help but one will need more time. I start as late Wednesday whiles the submission

time is Thursday 12.30pm and a grace period of about 2hours. Clients what multiscreen

and more

mstv 38 - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Way easier soltion! 
1. Duplicate the layer
2. On the bottom layer use the scale (uncheck uniform scale) to make your bottom layer slightly larger.
3. Use curves and exposure in lumetri colour to make the bottom layer white

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After getting frustrated with trying to find a very fast solution to this problem, I finally came up with a solution of my own.  It does not require nesting timelines or more essential graphic layers.  It's simply using the Drop Shadow filter (x4) on your video layer.

1) apply the Drop Shadow filter, select the color you want for your border, distance, feather, etc.  then set your direction to 0 degrees.

2) Copy/Paste that Drop Shadow filter, and change the direction to 90 degrees. 

3) Do this a total of four times, with the directions being 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees respectively.

Now if you have multiple clips in the timeline that all need this treatment, you can just copy/paste attributes, and away you go. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So many ways to do this:

stroke.png

AnnBens_0-1645468805792.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In 2023 you can just add an Alpha glow and set the brightness all the way up, change the glow size to dictate how thick you want it, and even pick 2 colors if you like the idea of it changing. I use this for png photos that I want some definition on. 

For videos or photos, just drawing a rectangle shape and editing it to be a stroke rather than a fill is by far the quickest and easiest way. Came here searching for answers and didn't find what I was looking for so I dug around myself and found it lolol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines