Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding LUT's To Premiere

Guide ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

I purchased a LUTs Package from " Ground Control ", The Instructor explaining to add the Lots from the Looks Panel Inside the Premiere.

At: 4:40 Time In this video he is explaining that It's better to add the Lots from the Creative- Looks Panel, therefore,

If you go to Basic Correction, you can adjust your Image before It Hits the LUTs.

https://groundcontrolcolor.com/pages/how-to-install-luts

I got some more LUTs from another company, and the Instruction explains to add the LUTs Into Premiere Pro CC- Lumetric-LUTs-Technical folder,

Therefore you can open the LUTs from your Basic Corrections Panel.

I have Magic Bullet Collection, what If I want to add the Looks from Magic Bullet, and apply the LUTs from the Looks Panel, Is that OK?

Or It's better to add the LUTs from the Basic Correction Panel, and add your Desire Looks from either Creative Panel, or from the Magic Bullet Looks Panel?

Also, I noticed with some Clips, Color Grading without LUTs looked better.

Thank you very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

I wouldn't say 'never' apply LUTs from the Basic tab ... but it's not a particularly safe place to do so. IF something is clipped by the LUT, you'd then have to add say an RGB Curves effect 'above' Lumetri in the ECP to bring the data back in place. And ... even if it doesn't clip, you may not have an optimal melding of the media & LUT.

I occasionally will use the Basic tab folder just to play with it. But ... I put everything I really use in the Creative folder.

I work a range of media, testing a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First ... it matters where you store your built/acquired LUTs ... do NOT EVER put them in the Premiere/LUTs/Creative or Technical folders with the included ones. PERIOD. Here's a chart with the appropriate locations, and note, you need to create the Technical and Creative folders at the end of this folder-tree yourself.

Lumetri LUTs Looks Findable Locations.PNG

You can create a shortcut to those folders on your desktop to make it easy to go in and add/rename/remove them.

Pr will add the LUTs from those folders into the drop-down lists of the Basic (technical) and Creative (Creative) tab LUT slots. They will also be "known" to AfterEffects and Media Encoder from those locations.

Next ... Casey or whoever from GroundControl had good advice about using tech correction LUTs for say Log media in the Creative tab slot. Why? LUTs are "dumb math" ... they hard-clip anything outside their built-in points. Log correcting LUTs are built under Ideal situations, perfect lighting/contrast/color-balance. Real-world clips coming in ... aren't nearly so perfectly shot in-camera.

So all other apps and all major teachers assume that the corrective LUT will be placed in the 'chain' and the individual clips "trimmed" for blacks/whites/contrast/saturation with controls applied/processed prior to the LUT.

In Lumetri's Basic tab, that Input LUT slot is processed before the trimming controls ... that's just wrong. I've had discussions with the engineers about this numerous times, and maybe someday they'll fix that.

BUT ... using a tech LUT in the Creative tab slot is perfect application of the resources. Add the LUT, go to Basic to adjust how it looks in scopes & monitor. Then go on in other tabs to do further work on the clip.

Or add another Lumetri instance in the Drop-down list at the top of the Lumetri tab for the next step of your grading workflow.

I would use the Magic Bullet LUTs/Look files from the Creative tab, personally.

And yes ... many clips are not helped by a LUT ... and don't need one. LUTs are dumb math, and 'fix' certain things. They can be used to add an overall feel or "lool" to a scene also. But never rely on LUTs to do something you don't know how to do without them.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Neil.

Here Is the Screenshot of my Directory after \Adobe \ Common.

I donts see LUTs folder.

Thanks.

address.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Premiere do you have?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 13.0.3 ( Build 9 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my Users/Neil & etc folder tree to where your image is ...

I would say create the LUTs folder, then inside that add Technical and Creative folders. And you'll be working fine.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil ! I really wonder how all those selling LUTs online and priding themselves to be creating hundreds and thousands

of them, are misleading users to insert those in the wrong path!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea ... and really, over-promising what LUTs can do. As one major colorist (and expert in calibration & such) has said, LUTs are the dumbest math out there. They can be a handy tool, BUT ... if you don't know how to fairly quickly figure out most of what is done in some LUT, well ... just throwing LUTs at media won't float your boat for very far.

Once you know how the tools work, how to look at scopes and media to "feel" what needs to be done, then ... LUTs are actually much easier to apply in correct and useful situations.

I've seen very few I'd be willing to pay for. Now ... some of the Red Giant sets ... well, those are rather something ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Neil.

Inside Common Folder, I created Two folders, Technical and Creative folders. I noticed, If I copy Paste all the LUTs Into Technical Folder, inside Premiere, the LUTs appear Inside the Basic Corrections- Input LUT Panel.  And If I copy paste all the LUTs Inside the Creative folder, Inside Premiere the LUTs appear Inside the Creative- Look Pannel. You told me never to use the LUTs from Basic Pannel. So Technically, do I have to copy Paste all the LUTs Into Creative Folder only?

I am assuming that the Creative Folder Is If I want to copy past any Looks ??

If you are shooting for example with Canon Cinestyle, or Sony S-Log's, Do you add any LUTs?

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't say 'never' apply LUTs from the Basic tab ... but it's not a particularly safe place to do so. IF something is clipped by the LUT, you'd then have to add say an RGB Curves effect 'above' Lumetri in the ECP to bring the data back in place. And ... even if it doesn't clip, you may not have an optimal melding of the media & LUT.

I occasionally will use the Basic tab folder just to play with it. But ... I put everything I really use in the Creative folder.

I work a range of media, testing all sorts of things, or working on jobs. If needed for working with camera corrective LUTs, I do park them in the Creative folder.

For organization purposes, I do rename them ... that list will be in "computerese" alpha-numeric order. So remember about numbers ...  "190" will appear before "20". Unless you use the same number of characters in all numbers. So if you use numbers, use either all in two-character form ... 01, 04, 19, ... or three-character form ... 001, 026, 345.

Numbers come before letters in computer-a/n work. So if you name say all corrective camera LUTs with a one-digit number, you have ten (counting zero!) different options for base camera separation. Say all your Canon "style" LUTs start with the number 0, all your Sony are maybe 4- ... and on.

Then have the name of the LUT. So it could be "1 Canon Cine1", 1 Canon Cine2",  "4 S-log1", "4 S-log2" and on.

Then general corrective LUTs start with a 2. "Feel" LUTs with 3-9.

This way you can quickly scroll to the LUTs you need at the moment.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mr. Neil.

So far everything Is ok. I have been playing with the LUT's. I noticed, In some Clips, when I add the LUTs, and Inside Intensity, I Decrease the Intensity of the LUTs to 50%, I get better results, rather Using the Actual LUTs with the intensity of 100%.

The good thing about Magic Bullet Looks is that every Look has Its own Control, and you can adjust It anyway you like.

This Color Grading Is a very Deep subject, and It takes Lots of practice and many years of Experience to get to your Level.

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read quite a few books in both physical and ebook forms ... such as Alexis Van Hurkman's "Getting Started with SpeedGrade" back a few years, and his "Color Correction Handbook" and "Color Correction Look Book". Also "Color Correction for Video" by Hullfish/Fowler.

I've been through about everything that lynda.com/Linked-In Learning have on color correction.

And I've been a subscriber for around five years to the colorist subscription website, "Mixinglight.com".

I've pushed pixels around just to see if I could break them, to understand what is happening under the hood. And last fall, became a Contributing Author for MixingLight.

It's been years of being obsessed with this, really. It takes a ton of learning, and even the guys & gals I've learned most from are constantly learning. That's Life in the Video-Post Lane.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R Neil Haugen​ tx for sharing your learning resources, as always, you inspire us

to learn more about colors and color grading, day after day ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Neil.

I just noticed some LUTs that I purchased only works If Copy Paste them Inside the Technical Folder. The Problem Is, Inside Premiere, It shows In the Basic Correction Tab, Not Creative Tab. For example, Some of the DELUTS Overlooks, and Leaming LUT1, and GC Victory LUTs only show If I add them Inside the Technical folder.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What formats are those LUTs, as there are many formats available?

And ... the Basic tab will show things in Technical folder, Creative tab in Creative folder.

Plus ... again, here are the places to create the folders for parking additional LUTs ... you create the Technical or Creative folder at the end of these paths. A couple users even had to create the LUTs folder, but ... those were exceptions.

For those viewing this that don't know ... NEVER EVER put LUTs in the Premiere Program files folder. Period.

Neil

Lumetri LUTs Looks Findable Locations.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mr. Neil.

First of all, Thank you very much for your Help.

I have created two Folders Inside the Common\LUTs Folder:

Creative Folder, and Technical Folder As Follow:

C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Creative

C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical

They LUTs Extensions are. CUBE  .cube

Also, when you say NEVER EVER put LUTs in the Premiere Program files folder, Which Folder you are referring.

Here Is the Screenshot from the LUTs that Is Inside the LUTs folder.

Thanks.

Luts-Folder.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed response!

The Program (Package) /Adobe/Premiere Pro 2019/Lumetri/LUTs location is the one to AVOID, for all readers of this thread. Those are used and referenced by the program by relative position in the folder, not by name.

So some of them, when placed in the Creative folder, do not show up in the scroll listing even though others do?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Neil.

Thanks for this very Important Info, I am sure many People are not aware of this Issue, and they may add the LUTs to Program (Package).

Do-not-add-Luts.jpg

Yes, some LUTs, Like  Leeming LUT One Only works If I add It to the Technical Folder, and I can see It from Basic Correction Input LUT Tab only. If I add that LUT to the Creative folder, I do not see It Inside the Creative- Look Tab.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm.

Wonder what the internal structure of that LUT is?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Neil.

It's ok. So far I have so many LUTs in my Creative Panel that I can use.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SpeedGrade could create LUTs in something like 10 "major" variants, some with many options/formats each. Premiere could take about three of the major formats. And I know I could use a variant of one that normally worked, and with the varied settings, wouldn't.

So I know there are some varieties that Pr just won't normally work with. And the "Basic" tab is slightly different in intended use as far as the engineers are concerned, and I am not surprised if it takes something that the Creative tab won't. Disappointed, but not surprised.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When setting up a common folder, how do you get After Effects to recognize the embedded LUT when opening new clip from Premier?

With Premier opens, LUTs loaded in the common folder will appear in the drop down menu,  but when the new file is being generated from Premier via open clip as After Effects composition, After Effects requires the user to manually select the input LUT from the common folder for each clip ( even if After Effects is already open )..  This is a frustrating waste of time for the user.   Never had this issue when the LUTs resided inside the application folder.

I've tried reinstalling the LUTs, I've tried reinstalling Premier and After Effects, and it's been this way since we started with this Common Folder.

thanks for your feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks this was exactly what I was looking for. And it worked with making this folder. So thank you for a lot of good information 🙂

Good coffee, Adobe Cloud and an electric guitar love life 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Julieb ...

Are you asking about Photoshop or Premiere Pro?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC. 

I don't know what Premiere Pro is? 

Thank you !

[Moderator note: this topic was moved to the Photoshop forum.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines