• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding open captions at current playhead position

Explorer ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating open captions in a rather long (2hr45min) movie for my EFL students. Whenever I add a caption using the + icon in the caption panel, the new caption "in" timestamp defaults to the "out" timestamp of the previous caption. Since there are many periods of silence between spoken lines in this movie, I'd rather that the new caption "in" defaults to the timestamp of the playhead. In other words, as I play the video, I stop the playback just before the character speaks, and then click "+". But then I have to copy the current timestamp and paste it into the "in" for the caption. Then I have to go back and play the video to the end of that line, pause, copy the timestamp, and paste it into the "out" for the caption. That becomes quite cumbersome for such a long movie. (It's taken me 2 hours to caption 15 minutes.) Is there any way of making this process more efficient?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven´t already found the answer...right click on the captions layer where you want to insert the caption and choose "add caption" from the context menu. It doesn´t place it at the playhead, but it´s way easier than dragging/copying it from the position of the previous caption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"add caption" isn't an option in the context menu in CC 2020 (14.0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is, if you right-click the lower half of the caption track.

Martijn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is odd. Left click a second time on the caption track. Then try the right click again. I cannot get it to be consistent. Sometimes I get the full context menu, and sometimes the caption options.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you right-click the upper-half of the caption track, you get the full menu. Clicking the lower half will bring you to the caption options.

Martijn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Martijn, thanks for revealing the secret behavior! I thought I tried that, but obviously not....

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines