• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding title changes brightness of clip below

Participant ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm adding a basic lower third to a video, with simple cross dissolves in and out.  For some reason, when the title starts to dissolve in, the entire clip below the title darkens perceptibly and remains that way until the title dissolves out at which point the clip's original brightness reappears.   As a test, I tried masking out the lower third layer except for the lines of text, to see if only the area around the text would darken, but even having done that, the entire image still darkens when the title starts to fade in.

I've added lower thirds like this literally hundreds of times without experiencing this issue, and I can't figure out what might be causing it.  Any suggestions?  Am I overlooking something obvious?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

I just fixed mine by changing Hardware Encoding to Software Encoding. Let me know if it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly try rendering. Press return and let Premiere render a preview that may act as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did render.  Still does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rob suggested see if rendering makes the issue go away. Otherwise - try turning 'Composite in Linear color' in your sequence settings off (or on)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried that and it seems to have helped with the brightness issue. Although now when the title fades in, the text appears to come in piecemeal and grainy until it reaches 100% when it solidifies, as opposed to appearing smooth at a lower opacity and then fading up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have a sequence with  a track that is a series of EGP created lower thirds and you're applying cross-dissolves between them?

Or are you applying dissolves to non-connected graphics to fade them in and out rather than keyframed opacity on the graphics?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just a single lower third.  I've used both the EGP and the legacy title tool with the same result.  I added cross dissolves to the top and tail, as I've done hundreds of times before with no problem.  I also tried using keyframed opacity on the graphic to see if it was the dissolves themselves that might be the issue.  But when the overall sequence brightness decreases, it does so at the start of the lower third, and remains for the length of the clip regardless of dissolves or keyframes, at which point it pops back up to the previous level.  Per Steve Griffiths' suggestion above in this thread, I disabled Composite in Linear Color, which appears to have helped with my original issue, but also changes the way the lower third fades in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post screenshot of the issue: before and after.

If Premiere is acting funny:

FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are your source and sequence settings (codec, frame rate, pixel dimensions).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just fixed mine by changing Hardware Encoding to Software Encoding. Let me know if it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem and this solved it. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines