• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADJUSTING CAPTIONS LENGTH IN TIMELINE IMPOSSIBLE PR19

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I have updated to 2019 using captions has been a nightmare.

If I want to adjust the length of a caption forward on my timeline with my mouse the caption simply disappears. It is still in the caption text but not on the timeline.

If I try to move a caption backwards on my timeline it will snap all the way to the previous caption.

Has anyone else come across this? Does anyone have a workaround?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not experienced this. There are bugs that are not fixed, but I have not seen any new bugs like this in 2019.

I'll have to test the snapping back.

I always find moving/time adjusting captions in the timeline tedious, because it is hard to "grab" the corner just right to move/adjust. But it always works as expected.

What happens if you make the adjustment in the caption panel?

When the caption disappears from the timeline, look in the caption panel: is it very, very short?

There is the problem that sometimes updates to captions no longer appear in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back Stan,

When I make adjustments in the caption panel they are responsive but I find it extremely tedious going through this process.

When the caption disappears from the timeline yes it does remain in the caption panel but it is one frame in length.

On another note I've been trying to export all of my captions as one singular srt. Do you know the workflow for this process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the single frame, I suspect a) it is still there if you zoom all the way in and b) this is related to how finicky captions are in being moved in the timeline. I have difficulty "grabbing" the single caption end to drag its length. I have found that positioning on the upper left of the individual caption helps. But the main problem is its tendency to select the whole caption stream instead of moving the one caption that was selected.

If I were doing caption timing on a long piece, I think I'd use the free SubtitleEdit.

To export an Open Caption stream, it must be selected in the Project Panel, then File -> Export -> Captions and select srt. Because it is coming from the Project Panel, the timings are what are there (not the timeline timecode). And if you have cut up that caption stream on the timeline, it does not respect those changes.

So when you say "as one singular srt," I worry that you are encountering this problem. See this thread:

Re: Can't import a complete srt file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stan,

Yes the caption remains, albeit down to a frame. Very buggy but it will do for now.

Thank you for link to your thread, very interesting.

I can export the srt's and xmls of captions out of premiere, however preserving my font and positioning is not consistent. With the srt the font has changed and is much smaller, with the xml the font is much larger and is importing at 720 it seems.

Any work around for this for preserving the font and size of your open captions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not determined the exact factors that affect what formatting is exported with which options. I approach it on a case by case basis. Here, I'd look at your goal (where are you sending the captions from PR? e.g. YouTube and how is it interpreting the particular file type) and the specific formatting that is important (size?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@samz14242260

Yes, I too am experiencing the same caption problem since updating to Adobe Premiere Pro 2019 version 13.1.2.

Not sure why the problem started around the 13 minute mark, for me. Nonetheless, trying to extend the length of open captions either to the left or right gave me snapping or disappearing results. It's very odd. For example, extending the length of the caption from 00:12:30:07 to 00:12:38:00 makes the caption disappear. The only workaround I have, is starting a new set of captions and placing it on the video track above your previous set of captions. Not ideal, and I hope this problem gets fixed soon, but that works for me. Simply continuing where the problem started on a different track, is working ok for me.Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 11.25.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delayed reply, yes this workaround looks sufficient though still a little messy. I have also found duplicating a certain part of the caption to work as well however it would be great if Premiere would develop a more effective workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no workaround found, still looking for an answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just started experiencing this issue too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines