Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe premier 2020 constant crashes or freezes

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

I have been using this product for the last two months and was enjoying it until I decided to update from 2019 to 2020. I regret it. Regret it a lot.

Thankfully I finished a video I was working on before I updated because otherwise, I would have been raging. 

The slider in the timeline becomes unresponsive and playback stops working. The app itself doesn't freeze entirely. I can still click around but no actions function.

I have rebooted my machine several times since this post. Anyone else encountering the same issues?

Windows 10

16gigs of ram

SSD

1050 GTX

i7

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if there could be a problem with adobe software, since "community professionals" always try to shift the blame to users hardware. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is hands down probably the worse reply to it. Swing and a huge miss. Another user may be on to something with proxies. Gonna try that instead since my hardware is fine under every other circumstance and have edited for hours on Sony Vegas without issues. I have metrics I can see at a glance on my taskbar and it's not overheating.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am haveing the exact same issue i've done everything, ive reset my computer recently and im not sure if that has anything to do with it. by reset i mean i wiped my old drive and made a new one on an ssd. i've re downloaded the app and restarted my pc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update from my previous post:

I have been encountering this problem for a couple of months now but just powered through it until now. In my current project, the issues have arisen with more frequency and proven more problematic which brought me here to try and find a solution. 

I did some searching on other forums and came across a post directing to create proxies for your footage when editing. As I wrote in my previous post, I have made a habit of doing this. I decided to check and see if the proxies were connected to the full-res clips and discovered they had somehow become detached (probably an error on my part at some point or another). After re-attaching the clips, I have gotten back to the original state which was bearable. For those having these issues, try creating proxies for all your footage by selecting all the clips>right click>"proxy">"create proxies">under format - in the dropdown menu select "QuickTime". You then need to tell it where to put the proxies (what hard drive/folder) and hit "Ok". It will then open Adobe Media Encoder and develop them for you. 

This seems to work and allows me to get the job done but my computer should be beefy enough to run the native/out-of-camera files without issue. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix the core issue, please do tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this on my next project. I am a little bummed the Adobe professionals didn't even bother with it or make a post about this. Ever since 2020 update I was having these issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

holyshilidin, It may have not been helpful to you but you never know what will help someone.  I've been participating in non linear editing forums for a long time and many times I'll throw something out that seems like a long shot and it helps someone.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with 2020, now reverting. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You should try cleaning up your fans since dust affects adobe premier 2020 different than 2019" LOL. But in all seriousness, I had the same issue after updating as I stated above in my original post and another poster here helped. Creating proxies for your videos when editing seemed to have helped so far. Google creating proxies (Idk if you can post weblinks so not risking it). Hopefully, it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do we get Adobe to address this matter, I reverted back – now need to edit a video created in 2020 but cannot open it in the old version, the only option I have is to upgrade do the amend then revert back – a time-wasting pain in the ****.

I don’t have time for hours on the phone trying to discuss this with support who must by now already know about the problem

Any ideas anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can convert a 2020 project in to a 2019 or earlier project.   

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/saving-premiere-cc-2019-project-as-cc-2018/td-p/10149469

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 2020 is terrible on my MacBook Pro Mid 2014. Constantly crashing. It feels like it has become worse every single update. I used to be a loyal adobe user but am seriously considering switching to Final Cut Pro now. Please Adobe, get your Apps stable!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reverted back to the 2019 version of premiere pro and started my current project over again beginning with the more intense parts of the project when possible (ie. stabilizing footage, syncing footage etc.) and concluded that my problems begin when I either start or conclude said tasks. The largest issue is when the program window freezes not allowing me to review my edits. It doesn't seem to help to close the program and reopen it either. Ideas?

Edition:

I have another thought. Does anyone else on the forum who's having these issues also have their programs set to download to another hard-drive other than the one their OS is on. Does anyone think this could be causing some of the issues if not all of them? I'm going to test it out and move it to my OS hard-drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my OS, Premiere and the footage on the same SSD drive and i'm still having problems. Did i maybe misunderstand your thought there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. You understood me correctly, I'm still having the issues after moving the programs also. That was just a shot in the dark. I'm completely lost for ideas. I truly don't know what the problem could be other than an issue with the adobe programs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, searching through the forum i found a couple interesting threads, among them one strongly suggesting working with proxies to avoid crashing problems. The other one deals with a similar problem fpr 2018/2019 premiere, where one of the users found a workaround by converting his footage into different format. 

Both threads point towards format as a possible culprit for the freezing problem. Any thoughts on that?

I just started a new project on PP2020 and to my delight have to point out, that media encoder repeatedly crashes while trying to create proxies. Well done, Adobe! If you manage to bring the same instability to After Effects, that would really seal the deal. 

Nevertheless, i will try figuring the proxy-problem out and see how (and if) working with proxies affects the freezing/crashing issues.

*UPDATE*

After working for two days with proxies (CineForm, 1280x720, 25fps) the freezes continue to plague me, albeit less than on the previous project. So yeah, still no reliable workaround and not a single helpful idea from Adobe support team. Looking forward to finishing this last project and finally switching to Resolve. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Here...

Luckely I kept v 13.1.15... hope it works better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't seen yet, earlier this week on the 16 Jan. Adobe put out the January update for Premiere Pro CC. I have put some time into using it and have not encountered any issues yet. I think they may have fixed the bug in their update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im haveing the same issue. also previous version crashes (they didnt, before the 2020 update!) waiting for a soltion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am lost for ideas then. The new version has been working fine for me up to this point. This is odd that it is not a problem for everyone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly cant even do anything. I tried saving an empty timeline after importing footage and it crashed right then and there. Can anyone help me? I cannot seem to reinstall 2019 either - every time I install a previous version it seems to just be 2020 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same ((((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

17 March 2020 and the slider unresponsive problem still persists along with the reaction to any clicks anywhere in the UI after many reverts and many new projects. It's been 6 years with Premiere and I have been gradually taking things more and more seriously, getting more and more dependent on it. I have founded my career around it. I cannot work with it this way anymore. I mean I would! But how... the software is unresponsive. I am wasting time and money now trying to solve this. I wish I could see this up ahead coming. So many projects to finish. Many more coming in. It was a good 6 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Unberable.

I even contacted adobe and they logged in on my computer just to tell me that the problem is that I am using clips with different frame rates in the same sequence. But of course I am! As an editor you mostly don't get to choose what frame rates  your clips will be. Plus, it was working fine before the update.

Something is not right with this version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long shot... solution to a really specific problem:

I had this issue often and it seems to be a conflict with my audio interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro 26).. Since windows stopped supporting firewire (and even with legacy drivers), the interfact conflicts with just about everything. Since i moved over to a USB3 interface, the issue with Premiere crashing all but went away. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines