Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe premier 2020 constant crashes or freezes

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

I have been using this product for the last two months and was enjoying it until I decided to update from 2019 to 2020. I regret it. Regret it a lot.

Thankfully I finished a video I was working on before I updated because otherwise, I would have been raging. 

The slider in the timeline becomes unresponsive and playback stops working. The app itself doesn't freeze entirely. I can still click around but no actions function.

I have rebooted my machine several times since this post. Anyone else encountering the same issues?

Windows 10

16gigs of ram

SSD

1050 GTX

i7

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. Previous versions worked fine but now it's just crashing as described above constantly. Adobe logged on and deleted one of my plugins which helped for about 30 mins but then it was strait back to crashing. This needs to be resolved ASAP as it's seriously affecting my work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very frustratedwith the same issue. I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro. The program gets more useless every time I reopen it. It started by freezing the preview sometimes and now it won't pass from the first play back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Suddenly after the last update, I have to force quit + restart Adobe every hour. Incredibly frustrating. Can't believe they haven't sorted this out by now. Is there something we can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm a relatively new Premiere user, but have been a Photoshop professional since v1. I've trying to edit my tutorials for Adobe Max and am also dealing with constant crashes. I have incredibly simple timelines and sequences with very little editing and only 1 or 2 tracks, yet the application crashes at least twice an hour. Good thing my ctrl-s muscle memory is strong, but I've still lost so much work and productivity over the past week. What a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you working with screen recordings?  If so, the problem is probably that your sources have a variable frame rate.  
use mediainfo to determine whether your source is variable or constant frame rate

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

if it's variable use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate

https://handbrake.fr
and here's a tutorial on how to use handbrake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info and i'm actually using CBR in my screencaps captured from OBS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cbr stands for constant bit rate, not constant frame rate. both the bit rate and frame rate are there in media info...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahh right, thanks. Yes, looks like i'm locked into a steady 30fps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, I just removed all my third party software like this thread suggests:
"By default, third party plugins are installed in the Mediacore.

You can directly remove/delete them, from the Mediacore.

Windows: C:/Program Files/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/7.0/MediaCore

Mac: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/7.0/MediaCore"
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/how-do-i-uninstall-third-party-plugins/td-p/8068394?page...

I can now run PremierePro CC 2020 without crashes, so far...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also reset my preferences by holding down alt when starting premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using PRPRO since it was on disks, and the move to the cloud was a horrific and ill fated money grab. Nothing works anymore. just purchased a new computer from Computer Solutions, designed specifically for 4k editing. I have had never had so many freezes an crashes in 20 plus years of editing. I am working  a feature, and doubt  I will be able to finish it with these constant issues. I love all the fixes they suggest, none of which work. You shouldn't have to work this hard to edit video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I've been using Premiere since it was on disks and gotta say I've never had a serious problem that wasn't operator error or a deficiency in my hardware.  I understand your frustration with the subscription model, but over the years I've provided support for clients using a variety of editing software and can't tell you how many times people had hacked copies of the software or were using someone els'es serial numbers.  I'm not talking once or twice but constantly.  And people with more money than they knew what to do with.  If we were all "good citizens" the software companies wouldn't have turned to this solution.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would hate to think you are accusing me or others of pirating software. I have several feature films in release through such top platforms a Redbox. I have paid for everything I use, thank you.  Bottom line is, you have hundreds of thousands of users exdperie3ncing the same issue over and over again. That is not because of operator error or bad machines, it's because ASdobe doesn't know when to leave well enough alone. Fact is, user friendly does not mean you should have to constantly seek workarounds or update your hardware every few months.

I'll stand by my statement, and you can keep the insults to yourself.

YA'LL NEED TO STOP TWEAKING THE PRODUCT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wasn't suggesting you had hacked premiere at all, just trying to explain why adobe felt the move to a subscription model was necessary.   I don't think "Bottom line is, you have hundreds of thousands of users exdperie3ncing the same issue over and over again" is true. Isn't the internet already overflowing with bs without adding to it? 

The hardware and formats are changing constantly and when you change one thing all sorts of unintended consequences can happen.  Don't assume that every problem you're experiencing is always occuring because of new features.    And the changing hardware allows for changes that improve performance and added features that many people (not me) are crying for.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a thought: make a p[roduct that doesn't need constant updating and work arounds, and hundreds of thousands of people reporting similar issues. Stating facts isn't against the community guidelines I hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just curious where you get "hundreds of thousands of people reporting similar issues?"   Happy to spend some time with you trying to figure out what might solve your problems...  as are many other people here.  If you're serious about troubleshooting your issues, start a new topic, tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and your source properties and sequence settings, and the issues you're having.   This thread is way to long to be able to remember everything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting preferences and/or reseting your workspace?
Reset your preferences by holding shift+alt (or option) when you launch Premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the current NVIDIA graphics card update! Oh man I have been frustrated as heck when exporting. I switched to the "studio driver" by clicking the 3 dots next to the install button on the top right corner. Working fine now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a beginner and have minimal experience with Premiere Pro, but I had the same issue with many people here. I'm Windows 10 user with a relatively powerful laptop, with 16GB (small) memory and a large SSD.

Just my two cents, I tried to quit Dropbox executable to stop syncing, and now my Premiere Pro doesn't crash for a while. I will report back tomorrow when I will be able to use it more extensively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, in the previous post, I explained that my Premiere Pro stops responding, especially, the program view doesn't update when I move the time in the sequence. I'm on Windows 10 with 16GB memory, 1GB SSD with a relatively powerful 11th Gen Core i7-11375H @3.30GHz.

Now, after I quit the "Dropbox app" (not just stop syncing, but quit the app altogether), my Premiere Pro works perfectly! It's a bit of annoyance to stop the Dropbox every time I edit my video, but much better than crashing Premiere Pro. I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for posting your solution.   Hard to tell whether it's a dropbox problem or a premiere problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, here is my issue, i have recently bought legion 5 pro with rtx 3070 with 32 gb ram and ryzen 7 5800h processor, i was working on this laptop and premiere pro was running smoothly, but after windows update, premiere pro starts freezing, like i started my premiere pro and after sometime i get stuck or like, for example, i started my software and import my all the videos and start edit on it, when i start listening and watching the video on the timeline, the bar gets stuck but the video is still plays and nothing was selecting, what should i do in that case ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers
Go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter
nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
-for Premiere Pro (and MAYBE Premiere Elements) use the STUDIO driver, not the GAMING driver
-such as (this MAY not be the latest) https://www.nvidia.in/Download/driverResults.aspx/177929/en-in
If you have a laptop you MAY also need to check for a laptop specific nVidia driver

There are also intermittent reports that the newest driver is not always the best driver due to driver bugs or compatibility issues, so you MAY need to try an earlier driver version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok, i will try, is there any solution of this can you tell me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines