Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe premier 2020 constant crashes or freezes

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

I have been using this product for the last two months and was enjoying it until I decided to update from 2019 to 2020. I regret it. Regret it a lot.

Thankfully I finished a video I was working on before I updated because otherwise, I would have been raging. 

The slider in the timeline becomes unresponsive and playback stops working. The app itself doesn't freeze entirely. I can still click around but no actions function.

I have rebooted my machine several times since this post. Anyone else encountering the same issues?

Windows 10

16gigs of ram

SSD

1050 GTX

i7

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalled the previous version and it has been working without issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind..now it is back to not working right. Even starting from a new file. Since my update, I am not sure why nothing works right. The timeline area specifically doesn't update until I hit the spacebar to hit play. I can zoom in and not see it happening in realtime until I hit the spacebar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as you've discovered, it's never a good idea to do an update in the middle of a project.  What format are your source clips and sequence (codec, frame rate and pixel dimensions).  Might give us an idea as to what's going on.  You might reset your preferences and delete your caches.  Do some googling for precise instructions for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same symptoms as you. It happens even when I start a new project and just throw one audio clip in. Hardware accelaration seems DOA. Happens in 2019 and 2020.

Did you recently update your nvidia driver also? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

initial testing suggests that for me, premiere 2019 works again with nvidia driver 436.48 (and earlier?).

All the 440 and 441 drivers seem to break it. 

But Premiere 2020 still acts broken with this driver. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with Premier 2020 being unresponsive with the timeline. It's making it super painful to edit. I am on a Macbook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! My export file is really glitchy or it freezes during rendering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted back to last version 13.1.5 and its much better. I had a Windows 10 update on Thursday and that improved things further, If I try to Export to Media Encoder - Encoder crashes but if I close the file in PPro then Open Encoder and the file then convert to h.264 all seems OK.

Work arounds - but manageable.

I think as time goes on they introduce more and more features without fully testing them, its got to the stage its almost change for change sake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. It started with 2019, ever since they released 2020, and now, after updating, and even starting a new file, it's becoming unrepsonsive within minutes of opening. Every. Single. Time. Adobe updates, it's something that leaves everyone forced into beta testing it for them and spending their time trouble shooting, so they can screw it up again with the next, "update." 

I'm so sick of this song and dance... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. Adobe has long enough proven it self to be very poorly optimized and frustating to use. Ive been working with PremierPro and other Adobe products in chaotic, rough harmony and its been a nightmare. Fiddeling with Hardware, OC, Drivers, File Locations etc. for Problems that are made even worse further along the way is tyering. Adobe, you're the worst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working with Premiere extensively since CC2017 on a number of different computers, mac and windows without any serious issues and when a problem arose, most of the time it was operator error/.     I've also worked extensively in the last 30 years with Avid Media Composer, FCP1-7 and Davicini Resolve and haven't found Premiere buggier than any of these alternatives.  When Avid Media Composer was released it was a turn-key solution where avid sold you hardware and software and there were still issues.  Without any information from you on your hardware or software, we can't help you resolve your issues which is the purpose of this forum AFAIK...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up splitting my timeline into multiple subsequences. I had no problem working with the individual subsequences if they stayed under about a minute (which is bad). The problem persisted when I brought the subsequences together in the main timeline. I also wondered if it was a certain filetype that was a problem but whatever file type I would remove wouldn't change anything. It is really the length that seemed like a problem in my case but the complete video is only 11 minutes long... I do not pay Premiere Pro to make 1-minute clips!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently updated to 2020 - freezes every 15 min. I'm using a 2018 MacBook Pro. And while the new recommended GPU Renderer is Metal, I can't use this because I have transitions that DO NOT work when using Metal, so I use OpenCL - not sure if this is the issue, but every time it freezes I am forced to do a Force Quit and then every other time it won't even reopen and I have to restart my computer. Honestly not even sure what to do at this point other than suffer through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the exact same thing currently...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue.  Playback becomes unresponsive and requires a reboot.  Please patch this up, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found something that worked for me (iMac)

• Export any sequences you want to keep (from your 2020 project) as Final Cut Pro XMLs. 
  • Close Premiere 2020
  • From your applications folder, open Premiere 2019
  • Create a new project, title it something like XML TRANSFERS
  • Drag the XMLs into this project, open the sequences in the timeline
  • Create another new project; this will be your working project (the XML project has been corrupted already)
  • Create a blank sequence(s) with your prefered settings and open it in the timeline
  • From each sequence open in your timeline from the XML project, copy and paste each sequence's content
  • Save and uninstall that garbage fire of a program that is Premiere 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i save the project, it crash all the time. it makes me sooo upset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crashes for me to, spent all afternoon yesterday cleaning my Windows 10 system still to no avail. CRashes as so as I try to amend a text graphic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem. Lots of crashes. I remembered that I already had problem with the auto-saves. I turned off the auto-saves and never happened again. Maybe some issue with that. It works for me. Try this solution and let us know if this only worked for me. I am using a MacBook Pro mid 2015, i7 16gb ram. Using metalGl working with files from multiple cameras and many codecs as a7's series, fs5, canon, Panasonic and Dji products. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

filipec68297102, turning off the autosaves is a dangerous path.   Like any other video editing software, Premiere project files can get corrupted and become unusable.  This is a rare occurence, but can happen.  With an autosave, you can usually find a version before the corruption occurs.  More than likely if your autosaving is causing the crashes, it's a mac problem rather than a premiere problem.  Have you tried changing the destination drive of your autosaves?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here - even though the programm appears to be running (as i can click around and even perform simple tasks) there is no playback. Quitting the programm always leads to premiere freezing. One of the worst things about it is the inconsistency involved - the problem appears randomly, drives me nuts fot 10-60 minutes and then disappears without me doing anything except save/restart/load etc.

my specs:

windows 10

32GB RAM

AMD ryzen 5-2600

AMD RX 580 Sapphire

Is there any news on that bug? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issues for a little while now (playback not working, only partially responsive in some instances, having to hit play to activate a change, etc.) The odd part is that it worked fine for me for about the first month. I tried turning off autosave but the problem persists. My computer is not old by any means:

Windows 10

i7 8700 @ 3.20GHz

64 GB RAM @ 3000MHz

RTX 2080

All my programs and files are on a 1TB NVMe drive

I did notice it only starts having the problem when I get a ways into the project. Does anyone have any ideas/answers yet?

Edition:

Before I start my edit, I always create proxies for my footage (MOV files) and edit with those. I have tried cleaning up my computer and cache all with no improvement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a long shot, but since this seems to happen at least sometimes after you're working for a while, I wonder if there could be a problem with heat build-up in your computer.  Might try cleaning the internal fan, etc and try working with the case open and a fan blowing cool air into the computer.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about that but all my fans are clean from recent computer upgrades and all the temperatures are running very cool. I have seven fans plus a radiator/water-cooled CPU and two fans on the GPU. But thanks for the suggestion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines