Adobe Premiere 2020 unbearably slow

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks,

I have been paying full whack for the Adobe suite for many years, and I just can't take it anymore. Premiere just gets slower, and slower and slower. I even bought a brand new machine recently a BEAT of a machine -- 16 core ryzen, 64 gb ram, 2080GTX and 4tb NVME. I'm in windows. I would absolutley class myself as a power user of premiere and use it to produce a sucessful YouTube channel and make heavy use of all the expensive features i.e. nesting, effects but I do everything in 1080p using h264 files which should fly (?)

I understand that things should go much faster if I have a separate drive to use as a media cache, and I will try that. But this is literally a joke, I have to render out almost all nests, I can't even play a pre-rendered 1080p 6 track multicam in realtime even on 1/4 resolution. What else could I try? Use different codecs? 

Whenever I use the other Adobe tools like Photoshop, I get the same impression -- just a total dog. How the hell are we in this situation in 2021? It's like your tools are almost unusuable.

My friends use Resolve on their crappy laptops and their editing experience is 100x better than mine, I am pretty much ready to jump ship at this point. Anyone else done this yet?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you can try the free version of Resolve....but I would also suggest checking out the BlackMagic forum—you'll find no app is problem free.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Enthusiast ,
Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seeems to happen on systems with AMD CPUS and Nvidia GPUs. Some people have had luck turning of the hardware encoding and decoding of H.264. I think everyone needs to start contacting AMD. There might be  BIOS update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick update, I just looked at my task manager and it's actually bottlenecked on the GPU!!! Yes my epic 2080TI!!

i.e. it won't play a 6xmulticam, my GPU apparently can't decode 6 1080p videos simultaneously. 

I must admit, this does throw a slightly different complexion on the matter. Can I use PRORES on Windows? I guess I would have to re-convert all my footage but perhaps this would significantly speed things up?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your system should have better performance than my system (video below). Your system should playback six 1080P H.264 video clips simultaneously unless it is one of the odd variations of H.264. I think it might be wise for AMD users to contact AMD.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did I also mention some other annoying things about Premiere, the global FX mute doesn't work. Also when I render in the media encoder queue, it produces videos which look totally different to from Premiere. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-02-21 105902.pngCase in point right here, I am trying to make low resolution PRORES proxies for my clips and its rendering them completley wrong

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have to wipe and reload Windows.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
tims37254869 AUTHOR LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol thankyou for that suggestion

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to report back.

So I created PRORES proxies for all of the videos in my 6x multicam sequence, now it's working pretty well. PRORES encoding and decoding happpens on the CPU, and I get 100% utilisation on the LT encode and ~35% utilisation on the 244 HQ encode. 

When I scrub through the 6x multicam sequence the disk access goes up to ~88% utilisation and the CPU goes up but it's well within my current PC capabilities.

This is a good resolution for me, i.e. I can edit the multicam and actually know if the lipsync is on and not have to wait 5 seconds for the camera to change. From now on I will encode all my stuff to PRORES before doing any editing. 

The drawback of PRORES is that you are looking at ~75GB per hour for 1080 i.e. there is a compute/storage trade off. If I was working in higher resolution I would almost certainly have an IO bottleneck on storage and would need +1 drive

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines