Adobe Premiere freezes entire computer, requiring hard restart

Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  I don't know if other people are experiencing this problem but I've read of similar events with others.  Here's my issue.

Haven't been using Premiere for long, more intensively over the past few days.  What I experience is, no matter really the file or resolution with which I am working, at a random moment, be it closing the program, opening a dialog box, choosing an effect (not these specifically, it can be anything at that particular moment) after working for an inordinate amount of time, the whole program, including my complete system, freezes.  This includes movement of the mouse.  I have to restart the computer completely using the power button each time.  Not sure again if others are experiencing this problem but I'd be interested to know.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super

16 GB (2x8 GSkill Ripjaws)

ASRock B450m a/c

Corsair 650~w power supply

M.2 and a Sata SSD

Would love to hear your input.  Thanks!

TOPICS
Crash, Editing, Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Premiere freezes entire computer, requiring hard restart

Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  I don't know if other people are experiencing this problem but I've read of similar events with others.  Here's my issue.

Haven't been using Premiere for long, more intensively over the past few days.  What I experience is, no matter really the file or resolution with which I am working, at a random moment, be it closing the program, opening a dialog box, choosing an effect (not these specifically, it can be anything at that particular moment) after working for an inordinate amount of time, the whole program, including my complete system, freezes.  This includes movement of the mouse.  I have to restart the computer completely using the power button each time.  Not sure again if others are experiencing this problem but I'd be interested to know.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super

16 GB (2x8 GSkill Ripjaws)

ASRock B450m a/c

Corsair 650~w power supply

M.2 and a Sata SSD

Would love to hear your input.  Thanks!

TOPICS
Crash, Editing, Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 12, 2021 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all of your fans working?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 1
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, I don't have any fan issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Thought it was my new CPU+MOBO/Windows install. But I have now concluded this only happens in Premiere Pro. Guessing it might involve the NVIDIA driver? I have a 1070 and the latest GameDriver. What driver are you running?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running the latest Game Ready driver for the 2070 Super!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same GPU. Same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2021 0
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Buddy , This is the best solution to the Problem i have found so far i am still trialling it but the best you can do is Install Nvidia STUDIO Driver 460.89 Released on the 12/15/2020

And Revert Your Premiere Pro to 14.4
This has worked for me and it is actually Rendering now,

I have Very similar PC components to you 

Ryzen 7 3800 X-Nvidia RTX2070-16GB RAM 

I think maybe the latest Drivers for each are not corresponding correctly, 

Hope this Helps

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's not a hardware issue, this is an Adobe issue.  It just happened again after doing some color editing - while in the editor with FilmConvert, on the color wheels.

I would prefer to keep the Game Ready drivers if possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're using a thirdparty plug-in and assume the problem is Premiere?  It may well be, but wouldn't make that assumption.  And although I understand you want to keep the game ready drivers, might want to see if changing it solves the problem.  And by any chance are you using screen captures?  That could be the source of your problem.  Many screen capture programs record with a variable frame rate which premiere does not handle well.

use mediainfo to determine whether your source is variable or constant frame rate
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download
if it's variable use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate
https://handbrake.fr
and here's a tutorial on how to use handbrake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is likely that you installed the Game ready driver (not recommended for content creators), uninstall it, and install NVIDIA STUDIO DRIVER, I had the same problem here, I changed the driver and it worked for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2021 0
Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exact same problem. freezes at any time. and with media encoder too.

I am beginning to suspect that it could be incompatibility with the last nvidia drivers

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2021 0