Highlighted

Adobe Premiere Premiere Pro Makes my Imac reboot when I import files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a serious problem with my imac. Every time I import video files from my Panasonic Lumix S1H, the computer reboots. Anyone knows what can it be?

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Hardware or GPU, How to, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Premiere Premiere Pro Makes my Imac reboot when I import files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a serious problem with my imac. Every time I import video files from my Panasonic Lumix S1H, the computer reboots. Anyone knows what can it be?

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Hardware or GPU, How to, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 04, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your iMac specs, you can find them at the Apple menu > About this Mac.

Have you tried resetting your Premiere Pro preferences? Holding down the option key when launching Premiere will give you the option to restore your preferences to defualt. Resetting preferences is the usual first step when Premiere acts strangely:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/... 

MtD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wil try doing what you told me to do! I wil tell if it works out
Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be that I am using an external hard disk through Thunderbolt wich speed is of up to 240 MB/s?

May be I need a faster hard disk to work with 4k projects

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 0
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell us OS X and Premiere Pro versions. You need Premiere Pro 2019 at least. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest Premiere version. Is Adobe Premiere Pro 14.0.3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of footage is this? 6K at 4:2:2 10 bit? Can you try a clip at lower resolution and that is not 10 bit? Let us know. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The footage is 4k at 4:2:0 10 Bit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tin.

Great. Can you create an 8 bit file and see if you can import that? It might be due to your format. That is what I'm trying to find out.

Thanks,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you have some troubleshooting ahead of you in addition to resetting the preferences as Meg_The_Dog suggested.

Are you using File Import or are you using the Media Browser?

What happens if you import the clips into Adobe Media Encoder or Adobe After Effects?

What happens if you create a new user account?

What happens if you copy your source footage to a different location and import from there?

Here's the support page from Apple regarding this type of issue:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

If you iMac has USB3 ports (so, 2012 or newer), I would consider doing a clean install of just macOS and Adobe Premiere Pro on an external USB3 SSD or Hybrid mobile drive as a troubleshooting step.

-Warren

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Media Enconder happens the same thing. I didn't try in After Effects.

In premiere while I'm importing the video files, the imac reboots a few times, but once a could import the files, I can use premiere without problems.

The same things happens if I open an old project, when premiere stars reading the cache files, the imac reboots, but once premiere could read all the files (afer rebooting a few times) the premiere works good

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried clearing teh media cache files?  Whlie I haven't run into your particular issue, I've had clearing the cache files restore audio playback for some clips before.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to go way out on a limb here: the filetype is h.265 or h.264, long-GOP.  Correct?  How big are the files you're trying to import?  Measured in several gigabytes in size perhaps?

The reason I'm asking is that there's an annoying bug with Pr when it comes to importing long-GOP (h.264/h.265) files in that only one CPU core is used, and it's pegged to 100% utization during that.  It happens in both Windows and MacOS.  (Yay, consistency? ...)  Can you watch the temperature of your CPU during the import?  I'm wondering if your iMac is getting worked so hard during the import that the CPU is hitting its "Oh crap, save myself!" temperature, and rebooting the rig?  It's just a theory, but one worth looking into.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good guess.  Although, when a Mac overheats, it shuts down rather than restarts.

If H264 or H265 were to be causing issues (in any NLE), the 1st thing to do would be to transcode to a mezzanine CODEC. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "shutdown" vs "reboot" thing will depend on what's actually crashing.  And this would require digging into the system logs, which I'm more than happy to do had I access to them. 🙂  It's sorta "my thing".  That said, it's an easy test to do.  Watch temperatures during the import.  See what happens before the reboot.

And transcoding long-GOP files is, of course, doable.  But the whole long-time benefit of using Premiere over other NLEs (of past) is that it's not required.  And shouldn't be.  As soon as this bug is addressed and fixed, it'll be less of an issue, thankfully.

In either case, it's up to the OP to try that test.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's overheating, it will be a shutdown.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 0