• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this problem for about three weeks now. I am editing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250SSD, Thunderbolt to 3TB drive, and a thunderbolt-DVI adapter to Apple Cinema Display. I am editing 4K RED EPIC footage and my computer is wigging out on me.

I have been editing high quality footage on this machine with these drives and settings for a while. I originally thought this was a CUDA issue or graphics card issue. I switched to OpenCL and edited for a while and had the same issue again. I even took my machine to Apple and they put a new logic board and graphics chipset in it because we thought that would solve the issue. Again, same problems. I originally thought this might be just a Premiere Pro issue, however today I was exporting a 10 minute 4K, downgrade to 1080p video in AME and had the same glitch issue. This is what happens when a crash occurs:

1. Slowed perfomance of timeline and video responsiveness
  2. Program window goes either Black, White, or Gray (when this happens, I know it's game over... Thank you Auto-Save)
  3. Clicking, Moving Mouse, Typing, ANYTHING from there gives me a completely glitching out display for around 1 minute
  4. Whole screen goes black, seconds later...
  5. Log in screen

The attached pictures give you an idea of what the screen is looking like when the glitch occurs.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Anyone experience this issue? Everything I have is up to date including CUDA, the Apps themselves, everything.

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shonib,

My name is Peter Kirst and I work in the NVIDIA Workstation team. It would be great if you could reach out to me offline and I would love to try to replicate this problem internally and get to the bottom of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only had issues with windows and nvidia once.  Bad card actually.  RMA and replacement worked fine.

Apple is not supporting anything other than it's core architecture anymore.  PKIRST, the problem is that OPENGL\OPENCL is not compatible with CUDA.  It uses a completely different pathway to memory from what I've read.  In Apple systems, there are some additions to the driver builds that increase the speed through use of the CPU as an extra core of threads, but the accuracy and datawidth are narrower ( the values are truncated at shorter decimals and in some instances some instruction priorities are handled in a set mode, not a mutating mode that is based on the image data and instruction decimal accuracy like CUDA).  From what I've seen, Cuda seems to queue up operations going from most accurate to least, where OPENCL is processed one effect at a time, requiring you to apply effects in the proper order to get the best result.  That's mostly from pc, but I've seen similar behavior with mac.

Because apple grabs it's own architecture first (and this is from a hardware dump test), and processes that first, much of the memory where the images are held is actually locked.  Both grabs run almost at the same time, but since appleCL grabs first, the CUDA engine cannot get a free piece of data.  It's a hardware-driver based firewalling procedure that's overkill, but keeps the "virus free" tag on their OS.  Locking the memory to only the apple supplied system reading means that only apple compliant software can read memory that's been filled by apple compliant software.  CUDA is no longer apple compliant.

However, I've seen some who have thurnderbolt PCI setups that do run cuda... ...They run it by attaching monitors to external cards, and then feeding only those monitors with the Adobe GUI.  I've seen it work almost perfect in a virtual machine (Windows based) that uses those external cards for video processing.   There are ways around the apple "We know what's best for everybody" engineering.  It just takes a little time and a lot of $$$.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's "help" system is spotty ... and the basic help you get at first call or via "live chat" often have no knowledge of PrPro other than the cheat-sheet. However, ask for the "Video queue" and you stand a good chance of getting someone who actually knows a bit about PrPro ... and maybe has a much better cheat-sheet also.

As to Encore ... for cryin' out loud, that's been explained SO many times! The core software for encoding to disc ... "authoring" it's called ... was licensed from another company. THAT company got bought out by a company that didn't want to be in that business anymore, nor was interested in allowing the licensees to modify the coding. Adobe's options were to build a new DVD/BluRay program, or ... leave Encore as it was.

They left it as it was ... and it is still usable, though wow what an older UI it seems these days. I've used it myself.

And your rant about Nvidia never failing ... well, I'll let you to it. I've certainly had my share of Nvidia drivers that were sucky ... and had to roll-back ... until Nvidia dropped a new one real quick to fix the problems. If every program out there has an issue with a hardware driver, it's NOT the programs that had the problem but a bad driver. The GPU companies are just as human and capable of mistakes as Apple and Adobe are. Apple's sure shipped out some lemons they had to re-build or re-do in the last few years ... jeez.

Sadly, no hardware or software company out there makes anything that always works with all the other needed parts.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly there's no solution. I had the same problem one year ago, and I had 3 logic board changed. At the end Apple admitted it was a problem with all their MBPR with Nvidia and give me a new MBPR (the last Retina) that uses Ati/AMD GPU so it's slower, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue both screens on adobe premiere pro cc 2018 show some king of glitch
and my laptop performance also been very slow
Lenovo Y700
16gb ram

nvidia 960 graphic card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

USMANI, did you mess with the graphic settings in the driver?  If so, you may have just blown your card.  Many models come with these settings maxed out.

There are some issues with the OPTIMUS driver as well.  You should look up the Nvidia Profile Inspector in google.  Download at least version 2.1.x, with both an nvidia inspector and profile inspector.  Then you just open the profile inspector, find Adobe Premiere in the app list at the top, then scroll to the OPTIMUS setting in the big area of the window, and set it to ENABLED.  In the top right corner, click Apply Changes, or Save Changes (this has varied by version, though functionality has been good throughout).

If you cannot find Adobe Premiere in the list of apps, you can use the global profile to create a new profile, and call it Adobe Premiere.  Then click the icon with a +sign that says, "Add Application" or Add App to profile.  Pick the adobe Premiere app.  Then check the optimus setting.

For good measure, set optimus in the global profile to enabled.

Windows removed a lot of Hooks in Optimus recently.  Those Hooks still exist in a set of files within the NVIDIA driver files.  They will be activated when you turn this feature on.  These Hooks allow your discreet graphics card to handle the processing of video\photo info, but the CPU will still be running the screen output.  It gives you a little more power in your card.

If this doesn't work, update your nvidia drivers from their website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines