Highlighted

Adobe Premiere Pro crashes my brand new iMac when rendering a 10 second clip

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchaed a new iMac (Retina 5K 27-inch 2019) with 3.7GHz 6-core 9th-gen i5, 8GB of RAM, Radeon Pro 580x. There is nothing on the computer except the photos/videos I saved on it for my video project (most iphone videos/photos, plus some larger DSLR photos). 

I've put 40 photos into a template purchased from Motion Array - it creates a slideshow of the photos. When I try to render the video clip (it's not even 10 second), Adobe Premiere Pro tells me it will take from 30 minutes to 2 hours. I've tried doing this several times. It usually crashes Premiere, and now it crashed the brand new computer. I don't know what's going on. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's the template, or Premiere Pro, the iMac, or what. Extremely frustrated right now. 

Is it because the template has 40 photos? Is that too much for the program to handle? I have not downsized them, just imported them in the size they are (probably 3 MB to 10 MB each). 

I've edited HD videos on a Surface Pro and never had any issues like this. I'm going insane. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Premiere Pro crashes my brand new iMac when rendering a 10 second clip

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchaed a new iMac (Retina 5K 27-inch 2019) with 3.7GHz 6-core 9th-gen i5, 8GB of RAM, Radeon Pro 580x. There is nothing on the computer except the photos/videos I saved on it for my video project (most iphone videos/photos, plus some larger DSLR photos). 

I've put 40 photos into a template purchased from Motion Array - it creates a slideshow of the photos. When I try to render the video clip (it's not even 10 second), Adobe Premiere Pro tells me it will take from 30 minutes to 2 hours. I've tried doing this several times. It usually crashes Premiere, and now it crashed the brand new computer. I don't know what's going on. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's the template, or Premiere Pro, the iMac, or what. Extremely frustrated right now. 

Is it because the template has 40 photos? Is that too much for the program to handle? I have not downsized them, just imported them in the size they are (probably 3 MB to 10 MB each). 

I've edited HD videos on a Surface Pro and never had any issues like this. I'm going insane. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Surface Pro should be Surface Studio

*I've also tried different Sequence Settings to no avail, suggested by various YouTube gurus. For example, I used Quicktime, with Apple Pro Res HQ, and matched that when rendering. Didn't work. I usually render using H264 and Match High Bit Rate. Just using 1920x1080p setting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also tried this: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-solve-crash-while-using-export-settings-in-pr...

It did not work. Immediately after hitting export, I got a message that the program encountered a serious error and it crashed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'll move the thread to the correct forum

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIght want to read this doc on min system requirments.

imo your machine is underpowered to properly work with 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the doc Ann? I don't see it.

I was using the template to make videos on my 2013 iMac and it was slow, but I could do it. I got the new computer and the problems started. But now the iMac has also started crashing PP.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry forgot the link:

Adobe Premiere Pro CC System Requirements

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ann stated, your machines are not powerful enough.

And the reason why Premiere Pro is stuttering and/or crashing on your new iMac is that you purchased a system that had too little RAM. You see, you really need 8 GB or more of free, unused RAM in order for Premiere Pro to work properly. Unfortunately, if you have just 8 GB total of installed RAM, Premiere Pro will not run properly because other programs, as well as background programs that cannot be disabled without severely compromising stability and usability, eat up more than 2 GB of that RAM, leaving you with less than 6 GB total available for running programs of your own choosing including Premiere.

Fortunately, with the newer iMac you will be able to upgrade the memory (officially, it supports up to 64 GB). You will have to find laptop-sized DDR4 SO-DIMMs for that machine, since normal desktop DIMMs will not even physically fit the memory slots in the iMac.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plan is to install the max 64 GB, but they didn't have a computer with that spec in stock and ordering a custom unit is a  2-4 week wait. So I bought what was on hand at the store as I need to finish this project by Wednesday. 

Will I be happy using PP on this computer with 64 GB RAM, or will it still be slow?

Apple gave me the option to return it and upgrade if I find this computer isn't working, and suggested these specs:

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display Z0VT

3.7GHz 6-core 9th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz
• 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
• 2TB Fusion Drive storage
• Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB GDDR5 memory

For now I'm going to try a trial of Final Cut Pro X and see if I can move forward on this project.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont think 64 gig will help much. You need an i7 not an i5. And at least 2 hard drives.

With current specs FCPx might be a better choice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about these specs for running PP? 

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
Z0VT
Configuration:
• 3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
• 64GB 2666MHz DDR4 Memory
• 2TB Fusion Drive storage
• Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB GDDR5 memory
• Apple Magic Mouse 2
• Magic Keyboard - US English

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
MyerPj LATEST
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks alot better. I suppose you are a mac person? You can typically get much more computer for the $ with a PC. But those specs will work much better. Take the one you have back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines