Highlighted

Adobe Premiere Pro is awful.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this product, and am paying absolutely way too much to have this app not work correctly. All I'm trying to do is make my videos in compliance with Youtube's stupid compression system. Not only can I not export the videos as anything, but it will work for the first 5% of the process, and then either freeze the whole application, or will just do nothing past that 5%. It's stupid that this "top of the line" editing software is actually the worst editing software I've ever used, and I used to use iMovie.

To be fair though, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I'm just too frustrated to troubleshoot. So here I am. I just want to have a presentable upload for my youtube channel. Is that too much to ask for, Adobe?

I guess so.

(I had to censor out all of my cuss words, and pure unfiltered anger toward this terrible program. Despicable.)

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Weirdsmobile | Adobe Community Professional

This is a very simple and straightforward process. From the Export menu, select H.264, then from the preset dropdown select the Youtube preset that matches your frame size:

Screenshot 2019-02-12 21.50.33.png

The software is fine, and performs very well on a professional level for many users. The problem here is your lack of knowledge on how to use it. That's not a slam, and please don't be offended. The learning curve for Premiere is a bit steep, and there are many preferences, settings, and hidden tweaks that can trip up new users who don't know where to look. If you're going to spend the money on the software then you owe it to yourself to get the training to make the full use of your investment. There are many mini tutorials on the Adobe site, some good lessons on Youtube and really great courses on Lynda.com. It's not perfect, but no editing software is. Once you understand what the software is doing and why, you can appreciate what it can do.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Premiere Pro is awful.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this product, and am paying absolutely way too much to have this app not work correctly. All I'm trying to do is make my videos in compliance with Youtube's stupid compression system. Not only can I not export the videos as anything, but it will work for the first 5% of the process, and then either freeze the whole application, or will just do nothing past that 5%. It's stupid that this "top of the line" editing software is actually the worst editing software I've ever used, and I used to use iMovie.

To be fair though, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I'm just too frustrated to troubleshoot. So here I am. I just want to have a presentable upload for my youtube channel. Is that too much to ask for, Adobe?

I guess so.

(I had to censor out all of my cuss words, and pure unfiltered anger toward this terrible program. Despicable.)

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Weirdsmobile | Adobe Community Professional

This is a very simple and straightforward process. From the Export menu, select H.264, then from the preset dropdown select the Youtube preset that matches your frame size:

The software is fine, and performs very well on a professional level for many users. The problem here is your lack of knowledge on how to use it. That's not a slam, and please don't be offended. The learning curve for Premiere is a bit steep, and there are many preferences, settings, and hidden tweaks that can trip up new users who don't know where to look. If you're going to spend the money on the software then you owe it to yourself to get the training to make the full use of your investment. There are many mini tutorials on the Adobe site, some good lessons on Youtube and really great courses on Lynda.com. It's not perfect, but no editing software is. Once you understand what the software is doing and why, you can appreciate what it can do.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a program of pro complexity ... designed for primarily manual use by folks who know how. I have only been using it heavily for ... six years now? ... and ... would consider myself a relative noob to those I watch and go ... oh ... my ... wow.

Getting started is hard.

I very strongly recommend getting at least a couple months of a subscription learning service like lynda.com/Linkd-In Learning so you get vetted material ... go completely through two or three different programs on learning how to edit with Pr ... and then start working on your own. It will get you to where you can do something, predictably, in a decent amount of time SO much faster than just banging at the app on your own.

As any complex pro-level app, it hath it's quirks and foibles, some just annoying, others ... a bit past.

Feel free to ask about specific things here though ... that's what we fellow users can help with.

For exporting, you need plenty of free space on the drive you are exporting to ... 4-5 times the expected final file size. Exporting to a file on local disc then manually uploading it works a lot smoother for many people than trying the auto-upload from Pr. And you can also upload in a couple other formats that often hold better image quality after YouTube finishes re-smashing the pixels.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the export as a H.264 which is the primary format for youtube. Bitrate of 11, as that is the rate of my capture card. I tried uploading the video to youtube before putting it through premiere, and the quality of the video was abysmal to say the least. I've never had any issue exporting videos over 40 minutes before, as I originally subscribed because I also do a video intensive podcast. The last episode of which was published months ago. So between when that video was published and now, there seems to have been a few updates that have now broken this feature for me. Y'know, the most important feature of this whole program. Pretty terrible, honestly. I think the fault of this program, and really any other Adobe program, is that it's a bit too complex for it to be functional. I don't want to have to read a whole book just to understand one feature, you feel me?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand  ... but even for the one area, I'd still say go through the relevant parts of 2-3 different lynda.com tutorials series. Realistically it will save you time.

There are those here who recommend uploading to YouTube in DNxHD/R I think it is.

Jim Simon  ... I think you have thoughts on this?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have edited with Adobe Premiere since 1991.  I always take advantage of the numerous tutorials found on the Internet.  The Forum is a great source for help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was the version of Adobe that I was using. 12.2.2 I installed version 12.0.0, and that went fine. The update broke that functionality, so I'll never update this application ever again. I had all of the settings set just fine. H.264, Youtube 1080p. I knew how to do that already. The actual program wasn't working.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh. I'm on 13.0. ... something. And working fine. But some rigs haven't loved it too much.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DarkAsylan  wrote

The problem was the version of Adobe that I was using. 12.2.2 I installed version 12.0.0, and that went fine. The update broke that functionality, so I'll never update this application ever again. I had all of the settings set just fine. H.264, Youtube 1080p. I knew how to do that already. The actual program wasn't working.

There was no 12.2.2; CC18 stopped at 12.1.2. And I'm still trying to figure out what was "broken" -- is it just that you had export issues, or that your export presets are missing?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the link below.  Use it as a guide to post up the details of your situation.

How To Ask For Help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you.  I'm no noob.  I've been editing for 20 years, the last 4 on PPro.  It's a truly horrible, buggy, unstable, unreliable program.  AVID has it's problems, but it had always hummed like a race-car for me.  Unfortunately due to work circumstances, I have to use PPro.  It is shortening my life and thinning my hair.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I started on avid at least 25 years ago, moved to fcp 1-7 and then moved to premiere and find it works great.    so, maybe your hardware's not up to snuff, or there are conflicts with other programs...  haven't had a crash in months.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere is used on by the largest number of users on the widest set of gear/media out there. Most are getting good performance.

But not for everyone. Naturally.

Each NLE has a very different look/feel/process also, and what works for one will NOT be happily appreciated by all. In the end, they are all tools ... fancy hammers.

I work in both Premiere (mostly) and Resolve (some). I like the Premiere UI, cannot stand the way Resolve is locked to a narrow set of user-changes for UI. I don't like the look/feel of the editing page.

And I also get very resentful that BlackMagic in all their wisdom and self-interest (which of course, they're as welcome to as anyone!) lock down any "outside" hardware like my full Elements panel while working in Resolve. At any one time, more than half of my Element's many knobs & buttons are 'blank', not assigned. And they do not allow the users to map anything.

Naturally, they want you to buy BlackMagic gear. But why would I want to buy their kit, which only works with Resolve, when I need kit that works in Premiere and AfterEffects also?

But I put up with it because at times I need the color tools in Resolve. Not very often anymore, with the recent changes in Lumetri and having added in a Red Giant Colorista panel color workspace in Premiere, so I have two full color workspace panel setups. With very different math and results. Yea, don't need Resolve so much now.

But again ... they're all just fancy hammers. Every video-post worker I've ever met whether editing, vfx, or color does their thing different than every other person I've met.

Use what works for your needs ... and get the job out to the nice customers that pay your bills.

And of course, feel free to rant every once in a while ... I certainly do!

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sande,

I've been editing even longer. Though I work here, I also edit all the time and have few stability or performance issues. That said, I have very good project management, mac maintenance, and am aware of Premiere Pro's reliance on certain hardware tech and work around anything I cannot handle natively, usually by optimizing my media to actual editing codecs or by creating proxies, much as other NLEs do. Avid, to my recollection, creates its own media files for editing. Linking to files is a feature, but is more bottlenecked unless you've got fast drives, isn't it?

If you are still editing with H.264 and expecting a highly responsive timeline, I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Transcode and all will be much better with your workflow, I'd bet.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines