Adobe Premiere srt fps import problem

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Premiere 2020 version, there were options to import srt formatted subtitles to the project. We could choose the one we want to use from the subtitle fps options. There is no such option in the 2021 version. The program automatically sees srt as 30fps. And this cannot be changed. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution in version 15?

TOPICS
Editing, Formats, How to, Import, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any import settings.

@Trent Happel Can you enlighten us?

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was out of office for a while and I'm still catching up.

With the old Caption workflows (14.x and earlier) we were treating Captions as video items, so frame rate was a concept that fit. With the New Captions in 15.0+ Captions are now data items, so the concept of frame rate doesn't really apply. Reporting 30 fps for New Captions is definitely something we can improve upon to avoid confusion. One thought is to not list any frame rate, but would love to hear feedback from you and others.

Import Settings was not carried over to the New Caption workflow in Premiere Pro 15.0. Could you explain what type of issues you are running into with New Captions in 15.0 that might be solved by Import Settings?

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your clarification is helpful; avoiding the confusion is a good first step.

I think the real problems are not the import settings per se. There are reports of old projects coming in with messed up timecodes and/or issues on export. I have not been able to focus on them to understand whether these are user error, conversion problems (old captions to new), import problems, or the type of timecode/sync issues that happen when exported srt/stl/whatever enter the "real" world of playback on any number of platforms.

In the old workflow, it made sense to think in terms of the caption framerate and the sequence etc, even though it often was not what it seemed.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your answers.

Yes, as Trend said, 30 fps is a standard setting in the new captions workflow. No matter what frame rate subtitle you import from the outside, it always appears to be 30 fps. This does not cause a sync problem between video and subtitle. I noticed that.

However, I don't think the new captions workflow is fully compatible with Premiere.

For example, when I want to make changes to the subtitle, Premiere starts to slow down or although there is no mistake in the imported subtitle, character errors occur on the timeline and in the exported srt. Captions workflow works better in version before 15.

I am sure that some updates will fix the shortcomings. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines