Highlighted

Adobe Removed MKV Support in Premiere Pro 2020 and I Really Need it Back

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got off the phone with Adobe Customer Support, who confirmed that MKV files are no longer supported in Premiere Pro 2020.

I waited YEARS for them to add MKV support to Premiere. I was thrilled when they finally did it in 2018. We've built workflow infrastructure around it. A lot of my clients (and my YouTube channel though that's less relevant) provide MKV files because they are either high quality Blu-Ray rips for parody, review, and education series (all protected under Fair Use doctrine under Copyright law) and OBS captured game play footage with multiple audio tracks.

Removing this feature a scant two years later is going to cost me/clients a fortune. Whenever someone provides me MKV content (which is most days these days), I will have to take the time/drive space to convert everything into another format that supports multi-track audio and doesn't automatically mix down the channels into a stereo track. 

"Just keep using 2019 for MKV projects!"

No, REMOVED you, Adobe! You just removed versions 2014-2017 from the CC installer and threatened users with legal action if we keep using them. There is a reason people are leaving Premiere in waves for DaVinci Resolve. Even Final Cut X - the program that was so bad that it let you eat their market share - is starting to edge back in. Stop REMOVED us around!

[Moved from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Removed MKV Support in Premiere Pro 2020 and I Really Need it Back

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got off the phone with Adobe Customer Support, who confirmed that MKV files are no longer supported in Premiere Pro 2020.

I waited YEARS for them to add MKV support to Premiere. I was thrilled when they finally did it in 2018. We've built workflow infrastructure around it. A lot of my clients (and my YouTube channel though that's less relevant) provide MKV files because they are either high quality Blu-Ray rips for parody, review, and education series (all protected under Fair Use doctrine under Copyright law) and OBS captured game play footage with multiple audio tracks.

Removing this feature a scant two years later is going to cost me/clients a fortune. Whenever someone provides me MKV content (which is most days these days), I will have to take the time/drive space to convert everything into another format that supports multi-track audio and doesn't automatically mix down the channels into a stereo track. 

"Just keep using 2019 for MKV projects!"

No, REMOVED you, Adobe! You just removed versions 2014-2017 from the CC installer and threatened users with legal action if we keep using them. There is a reason people are leaving Premiere in waves for DaVinci Resolve. Even Final Cut X - the program that was so bad that it let you eat their market share - is starting to edge back in. Stop REMOVED us around!

[Moved from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 08, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That stinks.  One step forward, two steps back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0