Highlighted

Advice in upgrading GPU

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer is 4-5 years old.  Asus H97-Plus Motherboard, i5-4460 CPU, 32GB of RAM. My PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 650 PG, 80 Plus GOLD 650W.

I get a warning that my card isn't supported in Premiere CC 2020. (HD Graphics 4600)

I do the occasional short film editing, 4k footage but my projects are in HD.

I've been looking at a cost effective solution where I could just upgrade my GPU. Such as the GTX 1660 Super. Would anyone be able to tell if this would work on my system and allow me to run Premiere CC 2020 properly?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Advice in upgrading GPU

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer is 4-5 years old.  Asus H97-Plus Motherboard, i5-4460 CPU, 32GB of RAM. My PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 650 PG, 80 Plus GOLD 650W.

I get a warning that my card isn't supported in Premiere CC 2020. (HD Graphics 4600)

I do the occasional short film editing, 4k footage but my projects are in HD.

I've been looking at a cost effective solution where I could just upgrade my GPU. Such as the GTX 1660 Super. Would anyone be able to tell if this would work on my system and allow me to run Premiere CC 2020 properly?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some parts of the process, the on-board graphics are used. And that is an oldy moldy graphics chipset there.

RJL would have the best info if he pops in, but I'm wondering if it's worth spending more cash on something running that old 4-core/4-thread slow CPU.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what that motherboard will accept, so this article is just for general information in case you decide on a bigger upgrade

https://community.adobe.com/t5/video-hardware/article-by-dave-helmly-on-hardware-for-running-premier...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, every single 4-core/4-thread CPU of every generation is in no-man's land when it comes to a GPU that is well performance-balanced to it. There is a BIG gap in performance between a GT 1030 and a GTX 1650 (non-Super). Unfortunately, your i5-4460 falls in the middle of that HUGE gap (relative performance-wise): The GT 1030 is too weak for that i5-4460, while the next currently available Nvidia GPU up from the GT 1030, the GTX 1650, is distinctly overqualified. An i7-4790 would have been a better match for your planned GTX 1660 Super. However, that's about as far as you can go with regards to a CPU upgrade.

So, effectively, it's a complete system overhaul or nothing. However, if you absolutely MUST get that GTX 1660 Super for your i5-4460 only to keep that 6-year-old system for years to come, then don't expect it to improve live playback performance much. Your CPU is definitely the limiting factor. Which is why I would only recommend this upgrade if you are planning to upgrade to a newer-gen 6-core/12-thread CPU in the upcoming months. But if you have to do all that upgrading plus a new motherboard and new RAM just for a 6-core CPU anyway, then you might as well just save up for an 8-core/16-thread or better CPU, which will make better use of an RTX 2060 Super or better (the forthcoming RTX 3070 would be a nice match to a hyperthreaded 8-core CPU).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all. I guess I'll have to bit the bullet and get a new system.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0