• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After upgrade from Premiere 2017 to Premiere 2021, lost color grade + aspect ratio on project

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

1. I originally edited a project in PREMIERE 2017; 

2. I recently updated to PREMIERE 2021

3. My footage is misinterpreted by the update

--- A. The color grade is misinterpreted from what it was set to in 2017 although there are are still settings applied in LUMETRI and COLOR BALANCE 

--- B. The aspect ratio of the original footage is translated into SQUARE instead of 4X3, as it is intended [see attached screenshot for both things above]

4. If I uncheck FX for LUMETRI or COLOR BALANCE - the aspect ratio returns to normal, however, the color grade is completely gone [screenshots attached]

Is this an incompatibility with the LUMETRI + COLOR BALANCE effects from previous versions?

How do I reconcile this without having to restart the color from scratch?

I tried opening the project in 2017 but it no longer opens on the computer - maybe because I had to update operating systems to install 2021? 

Please advise. 

See screenshots for reference.

Screenshot 1: Side by side shots - LEFT - 2017 Edit / Export - correct color, correct aspect ratio; RIGHT - how it opens in 2021 - color wrong, aspect ratio distorted

Screenshot 2: FX LUMETRI and COLOR BALANCED ticked on

Screenshot 3: FX COLOR BALANCE ticked OFF, LUMETRI still ON

Screenshot 4: FX LUMETRI ticked OFF, lumetri still ON

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Formats , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update #1: Want to clarify RE: color: I did the color in Adobe CC 2017 and have not touched the project since then; Once I opened it in 2021, my color information was completely off and no longer matched what I had done in the project, which you can see in Screenshot #1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before doing anything

FAQ: media cache

then make a new project in 2021 and import 2017 project.

See how that goes.

Make sure you have backups.

On a side note 2017 is 4 generation behind 2021. So yes you can expect issues.

No chance to finish project in 2017?

If you get the same color balance issue might have to delete all and do them all again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, there were some major changes to Lumetri between the 2017/2018 versions.

Second, that Color Balance effect is an 8-bit effect, and is not GPU-accelerated. It will take the computations of the clip down to 8 bit rather than Lumetri's normal 32 bit float precision. Not a good thing to do.

I would rework this now and I would not use an 8-bit effect like Color Balance. Yea, it's a pain but that is the way to get the best work done at the moment.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines