• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aligning Horizons between several clips.

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All - first post, and complete beginner to PP, so go easy 🙂 I've searched for a similar situation here but cant find one.

I have several clips that I need to merge together to make one complete video, but each clip has slightly different horizon levels. These were shot with a drone, and the angle/position isn't precisely the same as the previous flight.

I would imagine there is a function that could align them and crop as necessary, but can't seem to figure it out.

Any guidance would be highly appreciated!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Place one clip above another on the timeline (clip one on V1, clip 2 on V2). Click on the clip on the higher track to select it.

Go to the Effects Control panel and lower the opacity of the clip on V2 until you see it superimposed over the clip below it. Adjust the Rotation, Scale and Position until the two horizons line up and the upper clip still fills frame.

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 10.26.56 AM.png

Once that is done, restore the opacity to 100% and move the clip that was on V2 to where you want it on the timeline.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place one clip above another on the timeline (clip one on V1, clip 2 on V2). Click on the clip on the higher track to select it.

Go to the Effects Control panel and lower the opacity of the clip on V2 until you see it superimposed over the clip below it. Adjust the Rotation, Scale and Position until the two horizons line up and the upper clip still fills frame.

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 10.26.56 AM.png

Once that is done, restore the opacity to 100% and move the clip that was on V2 to where you want it on the timeline.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea, thank you! I tried this and it worked great. Next time I will do this as well as the next advice about Difference blending mode. Thank you, community!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of lowering the opacity of the layers and even better way is to change them to Difference blending mode. This way it will highlight the differences between layers. Always a great technique to use when you want to line up two layers so their positions match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a cross dissolve, adjust an then delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The benefit of using Difference blending mode is that, when the two layers are lined up exactly, the resulting image will go completely black. So it’s very easy to ensure it’s lined up exactly. With opacity or cross dissolve you are relying on visual matching which is more prone to error. But all are possible solutions 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you magnify the program window you can get it quite accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But if you use Difference mode you won't need to do that. It's much quicker and easier. No need to lower opacity or anything, you should try it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines