Highlighted

Aligning mask to guide

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hellow fellow editors!

I'm about to go nuts with the masking handling in Premiere Pro 2020 but I hope you can help me ^^'.

The sitaution I want to accomplish is the following:

Imagine a 100% scaled video track and a second one having also 100% size in height but only about 50% in width due to a mask. I want to achieve, that the second track comes sliding from the left side (starting out of screen) all the way in so it overlaps the left half of the first clip.

Now there are several questions I can't figure out:

1. If I create a rectangle mask it seems to be created in the center of the layer which is fine so far. Guides are activated but I cannot either scale the mask exact to the video size (cause it's snapping nowhere), nor can I scale the mask path to the guide cause it just ignores it completly.

2. I know the trick with only selecting 2 of the mask corners and drag them where I want with holding shift to stay in line. But this only works if I'm in 100% zoom in the preview which is just ridicously difficult to operate, if you need the edit the mask when the clip has the size of your entire screen. Because if you set the zoom to lets say only 50% the shift-holded rescaling is not straight any more but a few inches off.. Why is that???

3. I also know the align option but this is only available in the Essential Graphics window which is... well.. for graphics, meaning text and pictures but not movies, so I can't align with that.

I definitly know how to do that easily in After Effects but you can't tell me, that I need to do an After Effects composition for such a basic overlay movement of 2 clips or am I just missing something?

I'm on a tight schedule for an important edit so I really need your help fast with this please.

Best regards,

Steven

TOPICS
Editing, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Aligning mask to guide

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hellow fellow editors!

I'm about to go nuts with the masking handling in Premiere Pro 2020 but I hope you can help me ^^'.

The sitaution I want to accomplish is the following:

Imagine a 100% scaled video track and a second one having also 100% size in height but only about 50% in width due to a mask. I want to achieve, that the second track comes sliding from the left side (starting out of screen) all the way in so it overlaps the left half of the first clip.

Now there are several questions I can't figure out:

1. If I create a rectangle mask it seems to be created in the center of the layer which is fine so far. Guides are activated but I cannot either scale the mask exact to the video size (cause it's snapping nowhere), nor can I scale the mask path to the guide cause it just ignores it completly.

2. I know the trick with only selecting 2 of the mask corners and drag them where I want with holding shift to stay in line. But this only works if I'm in 100% zoom in the preview which is just ridicously difficult to operate, if you need the edit the mask when the clip has the size of your entire screen. Because if you set the zoom to lets say only 50% the shift-holded rescaling is not straight any more but a few inches off.. Why is that???

3. I also know the align option but this is only available in the Essential Graphics window which is... well.. for graphics, meaning text and pictures but not movies, so I can't align with that.

I definitly know how to do that easily in After Effects but you can't tell me, that I need to do an After Effects composition for such a basic overlay movement of 2 clips or am I just missing something?

I'm on a tight schedule for an important edit so I really need your help fast with this please.

Best regards,

Steven

TOPICS
Editing, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 10, 2020 0

Have something to add?