All my mp4 files that i import into the bin just shows up as an audio

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i try importing an mp4 file to the bin in premiere pro 2020 it shows up as an audio and when i drag it in to the edeting space it can only be put in the audio track and no video showing. Any tips to make the video show? 

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Premiere can't see or read the video part of the file. This most often happens with media from phones/devices/screen-recording, that are VFR ... variable frame rate clips. Meaning the audio is recorded with a solid timecode but the number of video frames per second constantly varies.

Some VFR can work in Premiere, some is oft problematic, and some doesn't work at all. Search for and download the free utility app "Handbrake" and use that to convert to CFR if so.

In Handbrake's Video tab, set a specific number for the frame-rate, and click the little circle for CFR. Set the compression to "near placebo". And it is possible to batch groups of clips once you figure it out.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the properties of the video portion of the mp4? You can check it in Pr, but a better viewier is here:

https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfo

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to re-encode it using handbrake

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines