• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Am I stuck with Mac OS 10.13.6 or not?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I have many complaints about High Sierra, but here's the thing: My iMac (mid-2013) 27-inch has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB graphics processor, and my understanding after many hours of online research is that Apple and NVIDIA stopped speaking to each other back in 2017, for reasons that are probably not relevant to this post —and the bottom line is, there are no drivers for Catalina (OS 10.15) and higher for this iMac's NVIDIA GPU. First question: Is that true?

Meanwhile, every round of updates from Adobe seems to pop one more of its CC app upgrades into the "incompatible" category. I also use Logic Pro every week, and the last two upgrades require you to have at least OS 10.15 Catalina. Pressure to update mounts.

I have found a few sketchy posts here and there that say "I upgraded to 10.14 (or 10.15) and my NVIDIA card works fine in Premiere; I just have to cross my fingers, arms and legs and grip tightly on my Hattori Hanzo sword when I start up" — but, like most of you, I have several projects underway and I don't think I want to lose hardware acceleration in the middle of any of them. Plus, Hattori Hanzo and I stopped speaking to each other in 2008.

My question is, will I have to default to the built-in Apple Intel GPU and lose hardware acceleration in Premiere Pro (currently at 14.8) if I dare to go beyond OS 10.13.6 or not? Does anyone know for sure?

Any clues or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Roger

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?