• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AMD GPU NOT SUPPORTED IN Premiere Pro 2020!?

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Radeon XT 5700 RX GPU, up until the latest update it's worked with Premiere. But now under File, Project Preferences, the renderer selection is greyed out and I cannot select the GPU option! I will try it out with my Nvidia 1050 ti in my other computer but as of now I am frustrated with whoever is at fault. I've spent both yesterday and today trying to fix this with both companies and so far we've only gotten as far as resetting drivers. For now I'm switching back to 2019. 

Also its not just in Premiere, but also in After Effects. 

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Here's the deal:

Some driver versions give you problems. You may want to try different driver versions.

Second (and this is a possibility), OpenCL support is either being depreciated or dropped/discontinued by some large software companies. Unfortunately for AMD, it's Radeon Technologies Group has not yet come up with a GPGPU API that will replace OpenCL in Windows. Therefore, it would not be surprising if Adobe drops support for OpenCL in the next major release of Premiere Pro, thereby revertin

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the deal:

Some driver versions give you problems. You may want to try different driver versions.

Second (and this is a possibility), OpenCL support is either being depreciated or dropped/discontinued by some large software companies. Unfortunately for AMD, it's Radeon Technologies Group has not yet come up with a GPGPU API that will replace OpenCL in Windows. Therefore, it would not be surprising if Adobe drops support for OpenCL in the next major release of Premiere Pro, thereby reverting back to the days of CS5 which required an NVIDIA GPU to even use GPU acceleration at all (and permanently locking Windows systems with AMD GPUs to the MPE software-only mode no matter what).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to post this comment to help those who are running into the same problem. Ryzen 3900X and Radeon 5700 XT. After hours fiddling with the settings and the driver and different Premiere editions I found what was causing the problem. It's the Virtual Super Resolution setting in the AMD Radeon Control Panel. Whenever you install the driver, you get this popup recommending you enable it. If you keep it disabled then GPU acceleration in Adobe Premiere is no longer disabled or grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just learned today that Premiere 2021 does not support AMD Graphics Cards... only 3 models.
Radeon Pro WX 2100, Vega 8, and RX 5600 XT...

I have the RX 6900 XT model... which is now pointless as Adobe does not support AMD Graphics. Only Intel and NVIDIA... Not like I spent $10k building a high end computer to do 4k Video Editing only to find out I can't use Adobe Software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wrong version of Premiere. The list is for Premiere Elements 2021, not Premiere Pro 2021. Two different programs.

Premiere Pro 2021 has never officially supported any of the gaming Radeon GPUs for Windows OpenCL. Only the workstation FirePro and Radeon Pro cards. The 2022 version (22.x) officially supports all Radeon GPUs of the RX 5000 and RX 6000 series, plus the old Radeon VII, for OpenCL in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines