• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any tips for improving quality of low-res video?

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community!

I have a freelance project that I'm working on and im having issues with quality for parts of the video. I'm editing an interview from Zoom and the main speaker is in a smaller size box for the part of the video. When increasing the size of the video, obviously it gets blurry. I've tried sharpening and other things I read online, but I've had no luck.

Anyone on here have any ideas? 

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 12 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can think of is that After Effects has an effect called "Detail Preserving Upscale"... which is designed to let you blow video up into a resolution larger than it was shot. Instead of blurring/pixelating, it uses AI to draw in the edges/basic details, etc. so that you still get a clean picture (I think). I haven't used it but I saw a tutorial on it recently and filed it away.

I don't think it's meant to be a magic wand. In other words, expect results within reason. If you're enlarging a Zoom speaker in a little tiny box, you may not be able to get the talking head to fill the frame nicely, altough who knows? Worth a try. You should be able to blow it up some though.

Of course, this requires After Effects. Do you have access to it or just Premiere Pro? I don't know of anything in PP that can solve this. The resolution is what it is...

Here's info on the effect:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/detail-preserving-upscale-effect.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L79FkGC5kvc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jampff suggested 'detail preserving upscale' in After Effects will do a decnt job of upscaling images.

If you have to stay in Premiere Pro, the scaling is not too bad. You could also try a slight amount of 'sharpen' (found in effects) to 'crisp' up blurry images. Don't expect miracles though and 'sharpen' will also highlight any noise or jagged edges in your scaled clip, as you may have found!

There are a number of third party plugins that do better jobs of upscaling in Premiere Pro, I like Samurai from Digital Anarchy. Red Giant have 'Frames'. Boris have 'magic sharp' which is one of my favourites. RevisionFX have SK Sharpen.

At least some of the above companies (probably all) have fully functional trial periods on their plugins - so you can check them out and potentially use them on this project.

All that said, if you are starting with low resolution material, the end result might be an improvement but never going to match native resolution material.

Good luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sometimes upscaling low res video simply does not cut it.

An alternative is to exaggerate the poor quality of the source material and use a Ball Dispersion effect in After Effects to make it appear as a heavily pixelated image (which it actually is), as if you're looking at a screen from a very close up distance.

In the past, I have had to resort to this technique for a promo, where they only had SD quality video for an HD edit: https://vimeo.com/12764462

The technique I used is explained in this ball dispersion video from Video Copilot: https://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_ball_dispersion/

Hope this helps, if upscaling does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines