Hello! I am posting to see if anyone has experience exporting a large adobe premiere file from a MacBook Pro. I do not have a desktop at the moment and am trying to see if it is possible to export a 13 GB video (18 minutes with BRAW footage) from my laptop. Any advice on how to not overload my computer and cause the export to fail? I tried exporting from Media Encoder while intermitently starting and pausing the export so my computer wouldn't overload but it still failed every time after about 4 hours. ANY advice at all would be so appreciated!!!!
If using Premiere Pro version 15, try rolling back to version 14.9.
Ahh. I currently have V 14.6. Could that be the issue?
Is it an overheating issue?
If so, provide more cooling.
What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?
I have my footage on an external hard drive that has about 15 GB of storage left and the project is 13 GB. I am using my laptop to do the export (with the external hard drive plugged in) which has 50 GB of free storage.
Wow, thank you so much for your help! Do you mean the 50 GB on my laptop is not enough or the 15 GB on my external hard drive? I am exporting from my laptop directly to the external hard drive by the way. Thanks so much! How much space do you reckon I need?
10% - 20% of the drive capacity is a general rule.
What size are the drives?
Ok, wow! This is so helpful. My external drive is 1 TB and I had 15 GB on it (which it seems was not enough). My laptop is 255 GB and has 56 GB available. My laptop should have enough, correct?
Also, is there a RAM requirement for exporting 13 GB from premiere? My laptop has 8 Gigs of Ram.
i shoot braw uhd 4k and put it in full hd timeline and proxy it to dnxhd or something.. and using a desktop with many internal drives I only export usually about 1 minute of stuff... never use laptop to do real editing ( just use it to scrub through stuff for quick check of what I got for short clips shot right after shooting ).
so, my initial response to you is you're basically doomed. for many reasons of hardware stuff, and not knowing what you are really doing with source, timeline, proxy, tons of stuff I don't know.
Try to make in out points on timeline and export 1 minute of your timeline. That will eliminate a lot of variables ( for example, you now know it doesn't work or does work for short export ( less bytes etc. ).
shouldn't take long to diagnose it
Copy link to clipboard
Using the Premiere Pro Proxy Workflow with 3840-by-2160 23.976 Apple ProRes422 HQ for the high resolution source and 1920-by-1080 Apple ProRes422 Proxy for the attached proxies, I've had good success on a 2013 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina 16GB/1TB with 4TB Thunderbolt mobile external for all project files. Exporting at high resoultion was very slow, but it did it.
How much RAM does the MacBook Pro have?
I'd let the render run to the end without pausing or stopping it and avoid using the MacBook Pro for anything else until it completes.
Try using Premiere to do the export rather than Media Encoder.
Since you've identified four hours of export time as the approximate failure point, consider expoorting in segments. Set an In at the start of the Sequence and that out a point in time that might be safe, like five minutes (or less). Assuming that exports as expected, set set the In to Out to the next five minutes. Repeat until each segment is exported and then use Media Encoder's Stitch featrure to assemeble one file. For this process, set the export to "Match Sequence" in the Export Settings dialog box. Don't try to introduce transcoding into the export process.
Consider Apple ProRes for everything. That's the broadcast quality CODEC specifically engieneered to work with any Mac. You'd switch to it at this point my selecting your locked picture Sequence and using Projet Manager (File > Project Manger...) to Consolodate and Transcode. Also, ProRes is a Smart Rendering CODEC in Premiere Pro. As far as I'm aware, none of the variations of the BlackMagic CODECs are.
If you can switch to Thunderbolt SSD (expensive) that should give you a very good bandwitdh increase for read and write times.
Your worst case is to probably use XML to jump from Premiere Pro to BlackMagic Resolve.